Good Books

The First 15 Lives of Harry August

Orphan X

Time and Time Again

1 Like

Reading this at the moment. A cracker.

1 Like

Reading this at the minute. Compelling.

(Not actually reading it. Listening to it on Audible)

Half way through “Where the crawdads sing”. Brilliant stuff. Part Coming of age story, part murder mystery and part ode to nature. I’m not sure if it’s because I am a little emotionally overwrought in the current climate but this book is moving me greatly.

1 Like

She’s a fabulous character, I’m wondering who’ll play her in the inevitable movie, it’ll have to be a staggering beauty.

I finished ‘The Nickel Boys’ by Colson Whitehead this morning, a great book also.

Looking for recommendations for fiction again fellas, nothing too heavy

1 Like

A ticket to the boneyard by Lawrence block.

Greg Iles has a trilogy set in Mississippi covering Civil Rights, KKK and all that craic. Natchez Burning is the first one I think. They are all good

Finished this. This would be a right good read for a lockdown. Utterly incredible the lengths Weinstein and others were prepared to go to to kill the story.

Good one alright. However his latest offering "Chest pains, camper vans…) is a pile of inane scutter. He’s very witty though on Shannonside with Joe Finnegan these days.

He’s a stone cold expert on isolation and methods of survival. God, however, is creeping up on him again which is fairly catastrophic for the intrepid Michael

I’ve been looking at this books for years. Finally read it this week. It’s a very good read.

3 Likes

Read it last month . Very decent .

1 Like
2 Likes

Its excellent

He was some cunt of a man

Have been reading 10 to 15 pages of this a night before bed for the last couple of months. It is an excellent book. As history/geo politics books go it is extremely well written and a very easy read, some utterly fascinating stuff including the annexing of the Philippines for 50 odd years and the huge role they played in the second world war and why all these Caribbean and south sea islands were craved for their natural resources such as bird shit as they were needed for fertiliser until the Germans were able to create nitrates in a lab during the first world war.

Some great insight into Puerto Rico in the 50s which went through a similar kind of faith to the Irish Civil war which resulted in a botched attempt by nationalist to assassinate President Truman and how nationalists from Puerto Rico storming into the house of representative and indiscriminately firing leading to five congress men getting shot.

4 Likes

I’m fairly sure I picked up the recommendation on this thread, but I finished reading The Son by Philip Meyer over the weekend. Absolutely loved it. Definitely similar to Cormac McCarthy in some ways.

I was 30 pages in two weeks ago and must pick it up again.

1 Like

Fatback :ronnyroar:

1 Like

:grinning:

The first punks.

2 Likes