Good Books

I stuck it on one night in bed early enough in it… I obviously fell asleep and when I woke in the morning the story had moved on significantly and I heard who the murderer was :sob:

So I fucked it aside since.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of audio books but they work in certain settings. For example if you were shaking manure for the day, a monotious task enough it helps pass the day.

I routinely get rid of audiobook a after a few minutes if I don’t like the voice of the narrator. Almost all English narrators set my teeth on edge.

1 Like

Lads not liking audiobooks probably wouldn’t have liked “talkies” in the 1920s.

I find them great.

That’s not the point though. I like some audiobooks, if the narrator has the intonation and accent which fits the narrator in your head. In cold blood, for instance, is excellent, but I recently sent back a book (Beloved) read by the author, as her voice wrecked my head, and ordered a paper copy instead. I’ve sent back several read by English narrators who’s accent I didn’t like.
I like Irish, American and Australian narrators by and large.

I find them good while I’m out, running or walking the dog, I often don’t enjoy the fiction but I loved the two recent Colson Whitehead books and When the crawdads sing.

The Malcolm Gladwell books are good on audio, he reads them himself

1 Like

Yeah they are great for out and about. I like them walking or driving. If alone.

That would be the Nazi in you.

I heily doubt it.

1 Like

The fella narrating the Irvine Welsh books is excellent. Then you’ve the likes of Ryan Holiday who narrated his own book ‘the obstacle is with way’ and his voice is impinged badly by the width of his nasal cavity which irks the fuck out of me.

1 Like

I just finished The Nickel Boys on audio. I thought it was excellent

1 Like

Listen to The underground railroad by the same author, it’s even better, an incredible book

1 Like

Read Surgeon in the Kaiser’s Army recently about a doctor in WWI on the front lines. Worth a read. His son translated his father’s diaries, or was it his grandfather. Ironically ended up working as a doctor in the NHS.
I’m not sure I’d have had the head for WWI. I’d have been a coward for sure…

Also finished the moneyless man, about the Irish bloke who went without for a year. Not bad either.

On to Kim Gordon’s book now. Worth a read too.

Read Niall Williams This is Happiness as well. Enjoyed it, but for me, dragged a bit in the middle. The best part of it was him describing the scenes in the cinema in Ennis.

@Tank, is the Cora Staunton book any good?

I haven’t read it yet

You’d have her voice in your head reading it, :grimacing:
I may try that moneyless for a year book next @cowpat

Delaney book Champagne Football is v good
David Walsh book the Russian Affair was rubbish I thought
Barry Geraghty book better than the low expectations I had

2 Likes

Good to see you’re alive. Can you only post in the middle of the night when the missus is asleep. Mash keys once for yes and twice for no.

3 Likes

My sleep pattern is fucked up at the best of times. Gone altogether now. That post was at half seven in the morning though only an idle hoor isn’t on the go at that stage

David Walsh is an uucoam of the very highest order