Good Fillums

I don’t turn off many movies, but that one was pure boring.

1 Like

Shit just got real.

Can’t bloody find it

https://flixtor.to/watch/movie/20813194/hunt-for-the-wilderpeople

This site is excellent. I pay for it in addition to the IPTV as a back up and use on the go, more reliable than the IPTV phone app and also has multi log in

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

I signed up to this on your recommendation- €100 for two years access

Stream quality is excellent- cancelled all my other streaming services and just use this now. It is a fantastic site- the ability to download anything is great

2 Likes

It hasn’t skipped a beat for me in about 5 years.

I give my log in details to family too and away they go. Could be 3 or 4 of us on it different parts of the world and no hassle using the one membership log in.

Also handy if IPTV goes down to just log in to this via a browser on the firestick.

2 Likes

My only minor gripe with it is that the “my list” seems to be by device rather than account. So if I add or watch something on the phone it doesn’t update on the tv and vice versa.

Agree, but clunky that feature when compared to the rest of the service provided

1 Like

I suppose that’s a small price to pay considering it didn’t miss a beat in years

1 Like

Everything everywhere all at once

What a brilliantly bizarre movie - words can’t describe it

3 Likes

It’s incredible. Mental but incredible. You wouldn’t know where to start with it.

1 Like

A flabbergasting romp

1 Like

I finally watched it tonight (I know, always late to the party).

Wasn’t sure early doors but thought it was a very good film. I can see how it’s not for everyone. I thought all four of the main characters were acted very well. I’d agree with you I thought Keoghan was superb

1 Like

Why the Irish hate The Banshees of Inisherin

Hollywood and the Irish tourism board have gone mad for Martin McDonagh’s Shamrock-hued drama. But not everyone has swallowed the Blarney

ByEd Power22 February 2023 • 2:26pm

'Prodigious drinking and misty poeticism': Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson in The Banshees of Inisherin

‘Prodigious drinking and misty poeticism’: Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson in The Banshees of Inisherin CREDIT: 20th Century Studios All Rights Reserved/Courtesy of Searchlight Pictures

Towards the end of the second season of Star Trek: The Next Generation Captain Picard and his crew visit a deep-space colony basted in Blarney. Its inhabitants, “the Bringloidi”, are agrarian, quick to anger and dim-twitted. Their accents are Irish; they say things such as “take the pig out there, will you?”. Even in 1989, the stereotyping was controversial.

Watching Martin McDonagh’s Oscar-nominated and now Bafta-lauded The Banshees of Inisherin, I couldn’t help but think of The Next Generation’s interstellar leprechauns. Banshees, about the violent falling out of two best friends on a remote Irish island, takes place in a Shamrock-hued alternative universe every bit as out-to-space as an obscure Star Trek episode.

Darby O’Gill-esque rainbows breach the cloud line. People spend all day in a pub swaddled in a stygian gloom. Characters communicate in the hyperactive stage Irish cant – London-raised McDonagh’s forte since his breakout 1996 play The Beauty Queen of Leenane, a grand Guignol piece about the decline in the relationship between a spinster daughter and her mother. Everyone says “me” instead of “my”. Letter “g”s are dropped as though infused with the potato blight. Are you gettin’ me drift?

Hollywood has gone bonkers for Banshees: just look at those nine Oscar nominations. It also picked up four awards at the recent Baftas. In Ireland, though, the rhapsodic reception has left many baffled. “The film ends up feeding the usual stereotypes about Ireland…International film awards are by no means a good film guide,” complained Jenny Farrell, a lecturer at Galway Mayo Institute of Technology in Galway.

“Is it just more Martin McDonagh shtick?,” wondered the Irish Times. In an essay on the American website Slate, Mark O’Connell wrote: “It isn’t always clear whether McDonagh is subverting ancient clichés about Ireland and the Irish—misty poeticism, rural backwardness, prodigious boozing, etc – or merely employing them in his own distinct way”. That last piece, in particular, whipped many Americans into a frenzy of apoplexy. How dare the Irish object to a dark comedy that depicted them as violent leprechauns?

tmg.video.placeholder.alt 9-R9u2UD3FU

Banshees lost out at the Baftas to Best Film winner All Quiet on The Western Front. It did, however, scoop the gong for Best Original Screenplay for McDonagh. It also won Best British Film. This was at one level appropriate given the prominence of outdated anglosphere tropes about Ireland. At the same time, describing Banshees as “British” did feel absurd. As McDonagh acknowledged on the podium, saying, The best what award?” He added that one cast member at least was from the UK. “Thanks to Rosie, our stand-in donkey, who is British. Yes, yes, she’s from Stoke-on-Trent.”

Under the Shamrocks and the shillelaghs, The Banshees of Inisherin is a study of male friendship. Early on, Brendan Gleeson’s character Colm ends his friendship with Colin Farrell’s Pádraic. Colm considers his (former) pal boring and silly – and does not want to waste his remaining years exchanging vacuous banter over pints. Instead, he wishes to focus on composing music for which he will hopefully be remembered.

Pádraic, whose other best friend is that remove miniature donkey, doesn’t take the rejection well and things spiral. To reveal more would be to spoil the film for those yet to watch it (it is streaming on Disney+). Suffice to say, gonzo violence, livestock abuse and heartache ensue.

Gonzo violence, livestock abuse and heartache are promising ingredients at a time when most of the multiplex is marinated in identikit CGI. McDonagh is to be praised, too, for taking seriously the concept of male friendship – so often mocked in popular culture nowadays. Underneath its Quiet Man curlicues, a much better movie strains for freedom.

'Rural backwardness': Pádraic (Colin Farrell) with his miniature donkey Jenny

‘Rural backwardness’: Pádraic (Colin Farrell) with his miniature donkey Jenny CREDIT: Jonathan Hession. Searchlight Pictures via AP

It’s just a shame McDonagh should choose to shroud his character study in hackneyed Paddy-isms. The fictional Inisherin – it’s supposed to be one of the Aran Islands – is a village where everyone is an idiot. Pádraic sleeps in the same bedroom as his sister Siobhán (Kerry Condon), just like Ted and Dougal in Father Ted. Gleeson, meanwhile, appears to be auditioning for the part of the dopey Irish builder in Fawlty Towers. He is a picture of twinkling vindictiveness.

McDonagh gets the little stuff wrong too. Nobody speaks Irish, to this day the daily language of the Aran Islands. The Civil War unfolding on the mainland is a conflict of which the islanders claim to have no understanding. In reality, the Aran Islands had been a crucible for the violence wracking Ireland in the early 1920s. The British had tried to “invade” the islands in December 1920, having abandoned them earlier that year. Later, during the Civil War, 11 IRA insurgents were executed by the newly established Irish army in nearby Galway. (My own grandfather fought in the Civil War.)

Yet for all those inaccuracies, Ireland will nonetheless welcome a potential upsurge in tourism to Achill Island, in Mayo, where the bulk of the filming took place. The local council has launched a brochure “highlighting the beauty spots featured in Martin McDonagh’s film”. “Interest in the island has risen since [Banshees]…and an influx of visitors is expected to discover the beauty of Achill for themselves,” writes the Connaught Telegraph.

tmg.video.placeholder.alt pGCa6xbEoPM

The Banshees of Inisherin has also contributed to a boom in Irish cinema. Four of the cast are vying for Oscars – including Colin Farrell, who has received his first Best Actor nod. It won’t be the only Irish presence at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on March 12. Normal People’s Paul Mescal goes head-to-head with Farrell following his nomination for Aftersun. And the Irish language film An Cailín Ciúin (The Quiet Girl) is up for Best International Feature.

These are set to be followed into the spotlight by Flora and Son, a new musical from Once director John Carney. Starring Eve Hewson (daughter of rock star Bono), it was a big hit at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. Such recognition has contributed to the sense that Irish film and TV are on an upward trajectory. As has the popularity last year of Sharon Horgan’s Bad Sisters on Apple TV + – a tale of skulduggery and murder amidst the designer kitchens of upper-middle-class suburban Dublin.

That success has the feel of good news flourishing overnight. McDonagh, by contrast, has operated in the same furrow for decades. The caricatures deployed in Banshees have been a feature of his work going back to The Beauty Queen of Leenane. Beauty Queen was famously rejected by the Abbey, Ireland’s national theatre – fomenting a grudge that McDonagh seemingly holds dear to this day.

Swaddled in a stygian gloom: Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell's characters spend much of their time in the pub

Swaddled in a stygian gloom: Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell’s characters spend much of their time in the pub CREDIT: Searchlight Pictures via AP

Irish people have, for their part, recognised his work as heavy-handed burlesque from the start. They have also been unconvinced that McDonagh is satirising stereotypes rather than championing them. A 2001 Irish Times review of The Lieutenant of Inishmore, about a terrorist heartbroken by the death of his cat, lamented that “every caricature is dim-witted […] and violence seems endemic in all souls”. Yet in the places that matter: London, New York and LA, McDonagh’s weaponised Blarney has gone down a treat.

Much better, certainly, than the attempted transfer of his shtick to the US with 2017’s Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. It was Oscar-nominated and acclaimed. But many in the US also called out its simplest portrayal of racial tensions in the United States. “McDonagh’s attempts to script the black experience in America are often fumbling… full of outdated tropes,” wrote the Daily Beast. Of course, fumbling backwards and outdated has been McDonagh’s stock in trade. The difference was that you can get away with caricaturing Ireland – Americans love it. Try that with America itself and voices with weight will call you out.

The shame of all this is that Banshees of Inisherin has overshadowed the aforementioned An Cailín Ciúin (The Quiet Girl in English). With dialogue largely in the Irish language and adapted from a novel by County Wicklow author Claire Keegan, the film deserves its place on the Oscar shortlist for Best International Feature. Set in 1980s Wexford, it is far more Irish than Banshees, exploring such subjects as Ireland’s historical mistreatment of children. Its evocation of the quiet despair of Eighties Ireland is gut-punchingly accurate. Thoughtful, truthful, Irish – it is everything The Banshees Of Inisherin isn’t.

tmg.video.placeholder.alt LGWyqty2m-A

McDonagh has built a career out of repackaging 19th-century Irish caricatures. Who can blame him – he grew up in the UK. While he identifies as “London-Irish” (his parents are from the West of Ireland), his perspective on Ireland is a British one. But what of the Irish actors who have done well out of his patronage? Colin Farrell had an artistic rebirth with McDonagh’s In Bruges in 2008. And The Banshees of Inisherin has transformed the lives of Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan, who walked away from the Baftas with shiny new awards and have both been nominated for the Oscars.

This is a story as old as Hollywood. The dodgy Irish builder in Fawlty Towers was played by esteemed Dublin stage figure David Kelly, whose first major role was in an Abbey Theatre production of Beckett’s Krapp’s Last Tape. Colm Meaney, the Dublin actor who portrayed Star Trek’s Chief Miles O’Brien, appeared in that notorious Bringloidi episode. By all accounts, he winced through it – but felt he was not well enough established to take a stand.

Several years later, though, Meaney had become a big cheese in outer space and was a leading cast member of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, as Chief O’Brien. Which is how he ended up being asked to share the screen with a leprechaun.

Meaney put his foot down, saying: “Every Irish actor I know has worked his entire life to overcome the stereotype of Irish people and leprechauns. It’s really racist, and I don’t want to do it”. He knew Blarney when he saw it and he took a stand. Star Trek’s producers backed down and replaced the leprechaun with the fairytale villain Rumpelstiltskin. What a shame that Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, when presented with the Oirish orgy that is Banshees of Inisherin, didn’t follow Meaney’s example and shout “stop”.

5 Likes

Self hating Irish men like Ed make me sick

1 Like

Ed is spot on there, sad to see some lads can’t escape their Darby O’Gill syndrome well begorrah.

1 Like

Matt guitar Murphy FFS

I’d say it’s my favorite ever fillum. The tape was in my grannies house so we’d watch it repeatedly when kids. In the way parents would use iPads to keep kids busy now.

The music legends, the characters.

It’s in the DNA to roll over and have the belly tickled.

1 Like

Sounded like mad to me.
Bob’s country bunker is my favourite. The lad that played Bob was outstanding.

2 Likes