Graeme Souness

Not really no

Brentford targetted him and United had a small team picked in general the same day. I think ten haag learned a lot from that.

He’s a hardy fucker, he’ll be fine. Ten haag will ensure he won’t be isolated again.

Plus, he was with Maguire and Shaw 2 games with Varane and Malacia, 2 wins and he has looked solid.

1 Like

As soon as Varane came on at Brentford, the blaggarding stopped.

That post was deleted, nothing to see there :man_shrugging:

I think Brentford decided 4 was enough bud

1 Like

:face_with_monocle:

It was a man’s game then

1 Like

Javier Mascherano.

1 Like

He played cdm for West Ham and Liverpool sure. Was only when he went to Barca that he converted to a CB.

1 Like

At 5’9"" none spring to mind.
Raising the crossbar by one inch to 5’10" :
Garry Mabbutt
Kevin Moran
Steve Nicol (in his final days at Liverpool and also Sheffield Wednesday.

Dave Mackay, Spurs? Was he a centre-half?

Have there been many centre halves his height in the league?

Exactly. If he was English they’d probably have him playing on the wing.

He’s an excellent player.

Maguire is a huge unit and you’d be better off with an empty beer keg instead of him.

The way the game is gone now you’d hardly need much height really. Not like there are many teams lumping the ball forward to a target man these days.

It is a weakness teams will try to exploit I’m sure but there aren’t many big men forwards these days to exploit it either.

Corners etc are a danger but you have time to setup for that so they should be able to adjust.

Harry Maguire turning like a barge and 40 yards between himself and Shaw is a much easier weakness to target really.

I can think of two Premier League teams who signed big men strikers this summer.

Everything comes back into fashion sooner or later.

Ya but Nunez is a donkey

The premier league is crying out for a 4-4-2 with a big man little man combo

one of the best headers of a ball i’ve ever seen was about 5 foot 6. Played left full for a few good sides in the MSL. He had a massive leap and excellent timing and he was aggressive as fuck too, he played sweeper for the AUL select team and an excellent Castleview team too. Super player

I’m sure I recall an article on that Zonal Marking website around 2010/11 about why 3-5-2 had gone out of fashion and why it wouldn’t come back.

Sure enough, it came back.

4-4-2 with a Niall Quinn/Kevin Philips type striking partnership and big booming kickouts and goal kicks (complete with “wooooooaaaaahhhhh…oooohhhh…you’re shit ahhhhhhhhh…” from the crowd) could be the tactical revolution of the 2020s.

Then again, it might not be.