Graeme Souness

Are you really informed enough to be making these judgements?

4 Likes

Souness has lived a public life, the same as Roy Keane, Eamon Dunphy, Paul Gascoigne, Gary Lineker and whoever you’re having yourself have lived public lives.

Anybody who has followed football for the last 35 years and is familiar with his career for the decade before that is more than well enough informed to understand what Souness’s personality is like.

1 Like

You don’t know him. You are making very broad sweeping judgements. It suits your narrative though.

14 Likes

That’s grand but by that standard we can never make any comment about the personality or character of any public figure anywhere, ever, unless we know them intimately.

You can, you just can’t really insinuate they’re racist, homophobic or misogynistic.

You’re very free to call Graeme a cunt though, which in all fairness, he probably is.

2 Likes

Suiting narrative is that yokes calling card.

4 Likes

Not really relevant to the point but didn’t Karen Carney make some ridiculous comment about Leeds being promoted because of Covid that riled nearly everyone at that club. Never found her to be an overly insightful pundit. Karen Duggan and Lisa Fallon on RTE would be more insightful in my opinion.

What if there’s a clear pattern to the identity of the players Souness is targetting?

What if the language Souness used in the studio on Sunday was pointed in its tone towards a colleague?

I find it all very amusing that those defending Souness claim to be all about open debate, and then attempt to shut down any debate about what he said.

Entirely reasonable debate.

That’s quite the hypocrisy, isn’t it?

Agree, the ladies on RTE are very good. Way better than Stephen Kelly, Richard Dunne and those boys.

Sadlier, Duggan,one of those two women and Didi is probably my preferred RTE panel now. The two boys are slightly unpredictable.

1 Like

You can’t insinuate someone is a racist or homophobe without knowing them personally?

I didn’t know Enoch Powell personally.

I don’t know John Waters personally.

No, without having evidence of it is what I mean. Knowing them is neither here nor there.

Don’t think there is enough evidence to say Souness is a racist.

Ron Atkinson called Marcel Desailly a lazy n***** on air. I’d call him a racist.

He might just be a xenophobe rather than a racist in fairness

1 Like

Sorry, what I mean is, I wouldn’t take soundbites from football analysis to say Souness is a misogynist.

I don’t know his intention behind the words ‘its a man’s game’, is he saying, ‘the game is just for men’, or is he saying ‘the game should be tough’. I don’t know, we can have our suspicions but we don’t know.

2 Likes

Souness is a legend. A man’s man

3 Likes

I found these words by Souness about Tyrone Mings very strange. I’m trying to find a possible motive as to why he’d write them beyond the obvious but I’m struggling to think of one.

Laura Woods’s words below are worth listening to, I think.

Souness wrote in his column for the Daily Mail on Friday: ‘I won’t be joining the love-in for Tyrone Mings, the man Steven Gerrard has stripped of the Aston Villa captaincy in a move which, summed up in one sentence, says: “I just don’t fancy you.”

‘Mings is “well-loved in the dressing room”, apparently.

‘Well, when he appeared a couple of times on Zoom for shows we were doing on Sky Sports during lockdown, I thought: “For a young man who’s not achieved anything in the game you’ve a hell of a lot to say.”

‘He’d been talking about how footballers were viewed as “commodities” at the time and I asked him if he didn’t think players were incredibly fortunate to be doing their job.

“He had an answer for me, of course, but that encounter told me a lot.”

1 Like

I think it’s pretty clear Souness doesn’t like women analysts “intruding” on him. He made that clear.

Richard Keys made it clear he didn’t like lineswomen.

Presume Souness would say that it is a coincidence that Mings and Pogba are both black and he took issue with their behaviour.

I read Souness’ Times column and he said he himself was 30yo in the Liverpool dressing room and wasn’t ‘allowed an opinion’. I think he takes issue with Mings being opinionated having won nothing and being through a bad spell. In the modern game, I’d agree its an antiquated view. Like Ferguson’s ‘the manager can never lose an argument’.

Ferguson had huge issues with Pogba, but was a big fan of the pre social media Jesse Lingard.

Roy Keane was very down on Pogba and Lingard, possibly Lukaku as well iirc.

Is the common thread here that they are all underperforming footballers who oldschool pundits take issue with?

So Souey is bang on, Mings has achieved nothing in the game… Instead we get a lot if fluff about mental health and him being poor as a kid. Boo hoo

Richard Keyes has outright exposed himself, would agree completely.

It is becoming harder for guys like that to conceal it but Id say Keyes is nearly deliberately playing up to it so as to cultivate a following among the knuckle draggers who like that kind of thing.

1 Like