Great Footballing Teams and Club Sides

Ya fair enough but I donā€™t think he was held in the same regard as a young player. He was key for Barcelona due to his height as well. He was decent from defensive set pieces.

1 Like

Chelsea won the league in his first season in England, so donā€™t think they were that weak

Regards Europe, they arenā€™t far away at all. The bounce of the ball you need to win cup competitions (that Fergie got plenty of in 99 and 08) went against them v Spurs last year, but could well go their way this time around

Sergio Busquets is among the most underrated players of the last 15 years.

2 Likes

There was time on twitter Miguel got in a three day debate with some random lad over pep. After around day two the likes of Jamie Jackson and other of Miguelā€™s media pals were writing to him to stop. Miguel was on another level of seething and start replying ā€œheā€™s a fraud, a bald fraudā€ to everyone for a finish before logging off.

The Barcelona team between 2009 and 2011 was the best I ever saw. They were unbeatable and in Messi and Iniesta had two of the all time greats, along with many other brilliant players.

Ajax in the mid 90s were also excellent.

Juventus under Lippi from 1996 to around 1999 was also excellent. Underachieved in the European Cup though.

Milan in the early to mid 00s also.

In terms of English teams, Man Utdā€™s treble was some achievement, Arsenal invincibles and Chelseaā€™s first year under Mourinho.

2 Likes

Ah in fairness he was in brilliant teams. He probably wouldnā€™t work in many other sides being honest. He was vitally important to that Barca team. I think pep won la liga b with him.

Winning the league in England is very tough. Very few teams win the English league and the champions league in the same season. I canā€™t
Think of many English sides in the last 30 years to do it.

The 2008 Man Utd team had a great keeper, an excellent defence and a devastating attack.

Midfield wasnā€™t great though,

I think thatā€™s massively downplaying how good he was. Spain were bursting with central midfielders, they still always picked him. As did Barca. And both won all round them.

He was always in the right place. Made interceptions look easy and never gave the ball away when he got it. He also mentally destroyed a lot of the opposition players. He could see when they were getting frustrated without the ball and turned the screw. Not always pretty but devastatingly effective. One of the best Iā€™ve ever seen

He was sort of like Rio Ferdinand in the way he made interceptions as opposed to tackles.

It always annoyed me Spain picked him and alonso beside each other. I hated that false 9 system.

Similar enough with LOI teams. Donā€™t see many winning the league and champions league game

Busquets is the greatest exponent of the one touch pass I have ever seen. Makes them look effortless

1 Like

He made the game look effortless. Never even looked like he was sprinting

A key part of making it look effortless is helped by fact he nearly always played on teams that dominated possession which meant he was nearly always facing forwardā€¦

True but by saying that I think youā€™re saying that anyone could have done it

Not at all. He was very good but its defo a factor.

Itā€™s a pity heā€™s such a horrible bastard.

Heā€™s the most overrated underrated player in that period too.

3 Likes

My word :heart_eyes:

Name them

Go