Great moments of sporting heroism and toughness

for pure toughness, Mick Lyons getting punched in the face, just took it with a shrug

8 Likes

A little different to most of the above, but if looking for heroism and toughness, I dont think you could look much further than Jason McCartney coming back from near death in the Bali bombings and playing at AFL level.

A very good podcast on his story, which goes into more details about the bombings themselves and his story that night.

Bit of a read on it here.

1 Like

I posted the Alex Smith special in the nfl thread. The courage, positivity and good grace he displays despite nearly losing his leg in incredible.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen the link and a few articles on it, havent had a chance to see it yet. It would be great to see him back playing. Like Zach Millar though who also suffered a similar awful leg break, but he couldnt get back playing unfortunately.

For his sake I hope he doesn’t get back to playing and just goes on a lives a full life.

We used to get up in the middle of the night to watch those classic Ali fights live. It’s difficult to comprehend now how the global celebrity of Ali, Frazier and Foreman and to a lesser extent Ken Norton.

1 Like

Were they shown on RTE? or was it BBC Radio five live kind of job.

I wasn’t around back then but would it by fair to say that Ali was easily the greatest showman and general celebrity of all time?

1 Like

yeah the chances of him being able to be able to play without the fear of further injury are slim. I know Miller spent 18 months trying to get back before eventually retiring. It must be hard to accept having to retire not on your own terms though.

1 Like

No RTÉ had the rights to them. I wouldn’t have seen them otherwise. We lived in the second last house on the street. Mr Terry lived in the third last house. Mr Terry was a big noise in the Legion of Mary. When the Cablevision was being installed Mr Terry decided he didn’t want it. Ok said Cablevision do you mind if we put the cable through your garden so the O Dowds and the people in the last house can get it. Yes I do he said, I’m not having that English filth go through my property. So that was that. It was Teilifis Eireann for us morning noon and night after that.

2 Likes

Great resilience shown by inter in the camp nou against the Spanish dopers in 2010. Down to ten men and being totally outplayed they showed remarkable heroism and bravery to hold out. One of Jose’s last great stands.

I’d say pretty well everyone in the world knew who he was.

Jose’s two banks of 4 were iconic back then.

1 Like

Hartson Celta vigo

The sprinklers going on at the end while Inter were celebrating is one of the great moments in recent CL history

3 Likes
1 Like

Barcelona are a rancid club

Zidane England 2004

1 Like

I think that’s a bit much. Wouldn’t wish a disease like that on anyone, and he was man enough to say he was wrong and apologise.

3 Likes

To be fair to Ali some unpleasant characters had his ears those years .