Great quotes

Not sure there will be much take up on this but here goes. Fitzy emailed it on to me during the week. No wonder he was the top salesman in that shop in Clonmel. I take it comrade Rocko will be posting this on the dressing room wall next week.

If you think you are beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don’t.
If you’d like to win, but you think you can’t
it is almost certain you won’t.

If you think you’ll lose, you’ve lost.
For out in the world you’ll find
‘success’ begins with a fellow’s will.
It ‘s all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are.
You’ve got to think high to rise.
You’ve got to be sure of yourself
before you can ever win a prize.

Life’s battles don’t always go
to the stronger or faster man,
but soon or later the man who wins
is the man who thinks he can.

That’s some lame ass crap right there KIB man…these are the only quotes worth quoting.

“Blow wind, come wrack,
At least we’ll die with harness on our back” - Macbeth

“We few, we happy few,
We band of brothers” - Henry V

"Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation - nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in fact exist, sir. "

• Captain Benjamin Williard (Apocalypse Now!)

“Terminate with extreme prejudice” - CIA Operative (Apocalypse Now!)

“La tristesse durera toujours” - Van Gogh

“In Spain, the dead are more alive than the dead of any other country in the world.” - Lorca

“Love is a misunderstanding between two fools.” - Oscar Wilde

Faber est suae quisque fortunae - Latin maxim
(Every man is the artisan of his own destiny)

Lex dura, sed lex - Latin maxim
(The law is hard but it is the law)

Hiems transit - Latin for ‘Winter has passed’. (Coined in Ireland after the repeal of the Penal Laws.)

Ut Veniant Omnes - “LET THEM ALL COME”
(Defiant catchcry of the British Navy dreadnoughts)

“My love said she would marry only me and Jove himself could not make her care, for what women say to lovers, you’ll agree, one writes on running water or air.” - some cowboy in The Assasination of Jesse James.

“She was the still point of the turning world, man” - Trip Fontaine, The Virgin Suicides

“My reputation grows with every failure.” GB Shaw

1 Like

Jack Nicholson in the Departed

I haven’t “needed the money” since I took Archie’s milk money in the third grade. Tell you the truth, I don’t need pussy any more either… but I like it

When insults had class…

“A modest little person, with much to be modest about” - Winston Churchill

“He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary” - William Faulkner

“He is a self-made man and worships his creator” - John Bright

“He had delusions of adequacy” - Walter Kerr

“He inherited some good instincts from his Quaker forebears, but by diligent hard work, he overcame them” - James Reston (about Richard Nixon)

“In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily” - Charles, Count Talleyrand

“He loves nature in spite of what it did to him” - Forrest Tucker

1 Like

That’s more like it! :smiley:

Variances of that line have worked well in social occasions in the past.

Another classic.

Bernard McNamara

Experience is what you get when you dont get what you wanted.

Best version of that is ‘Experience is something you don’t get until just after you need it’

Chuck Palahniuk

“No, whether a woman is a concubine to fuck or a damsel to redeem, she’s always just some passive object to fulfill a man’s purpose.”
— Chuck Palahniuk (Snuff)

“The unreal is more powerful than the real. Because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. Because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. Stone crumbles. Wood rots. People, well, they die. But things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on. If you can change the way people think. The way they see themselves. The way they see the world. You can change the way people live their lives. That’s the only lasting thing you can create.”
— Chuck Palahniuk (Choke)

“What we don’t understand we can make mean anything.”
— Chuck Palahniuk

Life never works except in retrospect. You can’t control life, at least you can control your version."
— Chuck Palahniuk (Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories)

“What people forget is a journey to nowhere starts with a single step, too.”
— Chuck Palahniuk (Survivor)

“If you could wake up in a different place, at a different time, would you wake up as a different person?”
— Chuck Palahniuk

“This is the biggest mistake I could think would save me. I wanted to give up the idea that I had any control. Shake things up. To be saved by chaos. To see if I could cope, I wanted to force myself to grow again. To explode my comfort zone.”
— Chuck Palahniuk

"people had been working for so many years to make the world a safe, organized place. nobody realized how boring it would become. with the whole world property-lined and speed-limited and zoned and taxed and regulated, with everyone tested and registered and addressed and recorded. nobody had left much room for adventure, except maybe the kind you could buy. on a roller coaster. at a movie. still, it would always be that kind of faux excitement. you know the dinosaurs aren’t going to eat the kids. the test audiences have outvoted any chance of even a major faux disaster. and because there’s no possibility of real disaster, real risk, we’re left with no chance for real salvation. real elation. real excitement. Joy. Discovery. Invention.

the laws that keep us safe, these same laws condemn us to boredom.

without access to true chaos, we’ll never have true peace."
— Chuck Palahniuk (Asfixia / Choke)

“Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don’t you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can’t think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you’re supposed to read? Do you think every thing you’re supposed to think? Buy what you’re told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you’re alive. If you don’t claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned.”
— Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

“It’s called the american dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it” - George Carlin

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant.
Maximilien Robespierre

Guys, you’re such liars. If you could blow yourself, ladies, you’d be in this room alone right now…watching an empty stage.

Bill Hicks RIP

Karl Marx has some great ones

[b]Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand.

Anyone who knows anything of history knows that great social changes are impossible without feminine upheaval. Social progress can be measured exactly by the social position of the fair sex, the ugly ones included. [/b]

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

You don’t get much better than that.

For in the final analysis, our most basic common link, is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children’s futures, and we are all mortal.
John F. Kennedy, Speech at The American University, Washington, D.C., June 10, 1963

X: Well that’s the real question, isn’t it? Why? The how and the who is just scenery for the public. Oswald, Ruby, Cuba, the Mafia. Keeps 'em guessing like some kind of parlor game, prevents 'em from asking the most important question, why? Why was Kennedy killed? Who benefited? Who has the power to cover it up? Who?

Donald Sutherland in a brilliant scene in JFK

“I don’t want to be a product of my environment,I want my environment to be a product of me”

Frank Costello-The Departed.

go fuck yourself you bald english slaphead

an unknown poster to fooley circa 2009

“It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.”
Niccolo Machiavelli

“Il calcio sono io”
Jose Mourinho

great quote by Jose :clap: :clap:

The secret of American freedom is to keep people ignorant

:clap:

Fred Daly, an australian MP once said: [size=3]“half the honourable gentlemen on the other side of the house are halfwits.” On being told to retract by the speaker of the House he said: “I retract; half the honourable gentlemen on the other side of the house AREN’T halfwits.” [/size]