Greatest Hurling Match of All-Time?

[quote=“Sidney, post: 828444, member: 183”]Similar to last week’s match between Dublin and Kerry, you’ll have people trying to pick holes in today’s match, but I really don’t know what people are looking for in terms of quality. The points by Collins, Conor Ryan and O’Donovan were three of the best ever scored in All-Ireland finals. Horgan’s for the lead was a really great score too, Cronin’s goal ice-cold.

Clare scored 25 times and only drew. That’s an average of a score less than every three minutes. Great matches require great drama and the drama today was greater than in any All-Ireland final I remember or know of before I was around.[/quote]
All valid points Sid.
But on a whole, the 09 Final had more imo. Tipperary putting it up to KK from the start, the saves from PJ Ryan, the sending off, the late goals from KK to win it. As a Tipp man it was heartbreaking but i could recognize the brilliance of the match all the same. That was the best game i have attended. 2010 was sweet but 09 was a better game in general.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 828455, member: 1517”]All valid points Sid.
But on a whole, the 09 Final had more imo. Tipperary putting it up to KK from the start, the saves from PJ Ryan, the sending off, the late goals from KK to win it. As a Tipp man it was heartbreaking but i could recognize the brilliance of the match all the same. That was the best game i have attended. 2010 was sweet but 09 was a better game in general.[/quote]

On a whole?

Me stupid, you smart.

You’re ok, pal.

I think in both hurling and football you can pick holes in all of the “great” games and you don’t have to try too hard.

The Tipp v Cork replay in '91 is probably the greatest I’ve seen but two of the Cork goals were shambolic.

The two Tipp-Kilkenny finals lacked really great finishes, same with Cork-Galway 1990 which also had some shambolic defending and a blatantly illegal goal.

Waterford-Cork 2004 was not knock-out and thus lacked the absolute do or die drama of today, it also produced one of the worst goalkeeping mistakes of all-time.

Clare-Tipp in '97 wasn’t a great match until the last ten minutes and probably really only the last five.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 828455, member: 1517”]All valid points Sid.
But on a whole, the 09 Final had more imo. Tipperary putting it up to KK from the start, the saves from PJ Ryan, the sending off, the late goals from KK to win it. As a Tipp man it was heartbreaking but i could recognize the brilliance of the match all the same. That was the best game i have attended. 2010 was sweet but 09 was a better game in general.[/quote]
I actually preferred 2010. Had the goals the 2009 match lacked and had more drama from early on.

not exactly hurling but similar enough

the 87 shinty game between the highland shortbreads vs the lowlands haggis munchers was class too

[quote=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 828467, member: 80”]not exactly hurling but similar enough

the 87 shinty game between the highland shortbreads vs the lowlands haggis munchers was class too[/quote]
Can you flesh that out a bit more please, surprised at you’re lack of detail tbh.

Don’t think it was the best, but it was a fantastic second half.

Anyone who doesn’t love hurling is a retard

[quote=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 828467, member: 80”]not exactly hurling but similar enough

the 87 shinty game between the highland shortbreads vs the lowlands haggis munchers was class too[/quote]
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Bubbles-trailer-park-boys-eyes.gif

Brought an English buddy to the pub today to watch the game, he’d never seen hurling before. He was mesmerised, reckoned it was the best sport he’d seen in ages.

you’ll have to flesh that out.

best sport he has seen in ages?

why do you need his validation anyway?

Gal v kk 05

[quote=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 828484, member: 80”]you’ll have to flesh that out.

why do you need his validation anyway?[/quote]

Well I didn’t cross-examine him on his comment, that would be a little bit needy. He did express interest in coming to Dublin to see a game

Standard of hurling in 2009 was way better. People just enjoyed 2010 a lot because Kilkenny were beaten. Tipp won easy enough really. It wasn’t a patch on the previous year

Sounds like you’re on a winner.

[quote=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 828484, member: 80”]you’ll have to flesh that out.

why do you need his validation anyway?[/quote]
Well, I’d imagine that, being english, the sports he watches would be soccerball, ruggerhoof or clicky-ba.
Maybe the most recent sport he had seen for the first time was trout tickling or some such, and thought that hurling was better.
Who doesn’t like a bit of validation. There was a million Martians in the pub in Luxembourg today and they all said that hurling was way better than their native sport of ‘ina-ba-clitch-coo-coo-waaaaaaaaaaaaaa’
Then again, herp de derp de diddle dee derp.

[quote=“Piles Hussain, post: 828495, member: 363”]Well, I’d imagine that, being english, the sports he watches would be soccerball, ruggerhoof or clicky-ba.
Maybe the most recent sport he had seen for the first time was trout tickling or some such, and thought that hurling was better.
Who doesn’t like a bit of validation. There was a million Martians in the pub in Luxembourg today and they all said that hurling was way better than their native sport of ‘ina-ba-clitch-coo-coo-waaaaaaaaaaaaaa’
Then again, herp de derp de diddle dee derp.[/quote]
Side of ham?

[quote=“Piles Hussain, post: 828495, member: 363”]Well, I’d imagine that, being english, the sports he watches would be soccerball, ruggerhoof or clicky-ba.
Then again, herp de derp de diddle dee derp.[/quote]
How are the Darts going mate? Start a thread please so we can document the season pls.

Kk v Tipp semi in 2002 was excellent. Cork v Waterford 2004 was outstanding. Today’s second half was excellent, first half was only ok. Too many mistakes to be a classic.