Guilty pleasures (TV programmes)

Smashing episode of nationwide tonight featuring both the Claw and the Bull Hayes

Dr Eva orsmond.

3 Likes

Sheā€™s on the market again too tazā€¦

I find the new Irish Gogglebox series quite amusing

2 Likes

The two Cavan boys are the highlight.

1 Like

They are mighty craic. Droll as fuck

Stetsons and stilettoā€™s

Michael Portilloā€™s Great British/European Railway Journeys.

1 Like

Anyone ever watch Pawn Stars? Iā€™m very new to start following it as always assumed it would be a pile of shite, but I watched it kind of by accident a few weeks ago and I loved it. Iā€™ve been watching a few episodes since when I see it on. Jaysus the hour would fly watching it, itā€™s very easy and low effort TV. I did a bit of googling and thereā€™s been 15 seasons of it.

An old house mate of mine who fancied himself as a bit of a Del boy used to watch it religiously ā€“ I saw a few episodes and it was grand but is totally staged/ scripted as well.

I love it dearly. The art of the deal is dealt with better in salvage hunters but pawn stars has more interesting ā€˜stuffā€™ and better characters.

Indeed. ā€œBig hossā€ and ā€œthe old manā€, not to mention ā€œChumleeā€. Great banter with them. I love seeing all the random shite that comes in. Is there any equivalent in Ireland? Those pawn shops seem to just want good and jewelery etc over here. I suppose youā€™d need to go to an actual antiques style joint here for something a bit similiar.

I remember being in Skibbereen Iā€™d say it was and there was a fella with a kind of lot or sheā€™d down an alleyway and he was selling all kinds of second hand junk. It might have been Kenmare actually .

Check out Hardcore Pawn for the down dirty of the Pawn world. Some crazy shit in that one.

There are plenty of antique auctions and house clearances which throw up all sorts of interesting stuff amidst the dross. By the time something gets to an antique shop itā€™s been picked over and ā€˜eā€™ checked by any number of punters.

Agreed Pawn Stars is a very glamorised version of what is actually an industry built on taking advantage of desperate people. Iā€™d say ā€œthe old manā€ built that place on the back of ripping off unfortunates in Vegas whoā€™d gambled their shirt and wanted to go back for more.

That Hardcore Pawn is unreal. Everyone of them absolute cunts, dealing with the absolute dregs of society. Trying to squeeze them as low as theyā€™ll go, or worse, giving them loans at a fraction of the value of the pawned item and charging savage interest rates knowing theyā€™ll likely never be payed back (and winning either way). Thatā€™s a real pawn shop.

Even the Pawn shop owners look dodge. There are always fights in the shop, someone getting thrown out or someone trying to pull a fast one. The queues in the shop are unreal.

There was an antique thing at the Southcourt the other day. I think itā€™s there regularly enough. Anyway I went in for a stroll, grand way to pass an hour. Some amount of old plates for sale, I donā€™t know who buys shit like that. There was some savage furniture there but youā€™d want the old style house to go with it.
Lads selling coins and notes and that sort of shit as well. An old Ā£1 coin goes for ā‚¬2 these days apparently.

1 Like

That Les is a right dodgy looking cunt. Heā€™d fleece you at every opportunity Iā€™d say. At least he seems like a bit of a loveable rogue, the daughter is the absolute worst. What an utter cunt.

Les is not the worst though, the son and daughter are animals, if they are not fighting the customers, they are fighting each other or the father. Iā€™d say the daughter would kill ya.