Hardy Half Backs of yesteryear

He had a weekly column in the Sindo as well back then similar to the one Jamsie has now

Did he disappear from both at same time?

Thought he should’ve been HOTY in '95, in fairness Lohan was inspirational too

Ah stop

1 Like

And Tony Dempsey telling Mitch at half time, what to do in the 2nd half :joy:

2 Likes

Liam Dunne’s book was very good and in general GGA autobiographies aren’t much good .

Pat ‘Fishy’ Ahern

I thought it was awful shite

1 Like

Vive la difference

Yeah but look at the Banville incident more of the time. You had to bugger the bursar to get sent off back then.

:man_facepalming:

Finnerty was teak tough. Some player…

In terms of the thread title Finnerty as the hardiest I reckon. Doyle was the lowest profile of the 3 but I reckin the best all round player of the 3.

1 Like

I lost interest in his columns when there was one many blunders along the lines of mixing up David Kennedy and Michael Bonny Kennedy

Doyle is had a convoluted enough career and if circumstances had broken another way he may well have missed the boat. He played a good bit in goal underage and was a lazy enough trainer by all accounts. Think he was the full back on the Clare juniors who won an A/I in 93 and finally got his chance in 94. From 95 to 99 he was consistently excellent, i don’t think he had a bad championship match in that time. He had some great tussles with John Leahy when they were both in their pomp neither gave an inch.

He used to be a hoor for putting on weight in the winter invariably would miles off the pace in league matches in the spring but would always be right by championship. He never had much pace but very seldom got caught for it either. The winters caught up with him though and in 2000 Brian O’Meara ran the legs off him and that was the end of him.

1 Like

Doyle was mr dependable for that great clare team. Hard without being dirty.
Finnerty was an animal. Leahy hit him an awful stroke which John Denton let go and Pete just shook it off. Would get a 6 month ban for same strike today

1 Like

John Taylor was a great striker of the ball. I was young enough when I saw him play but he seemed to be able to hit it a mile

1 Like

Ah he was a great hurler. A shoo in for an All Star in 86 but got a sending off and was ruled ineligible.