Has anyone played soccer in scumhole council estates?

George weahs cousin got on the soccer ball field at Southampton. No other sport would see that happen he’d be exposed as a bluffer in warm up

1 Like

Casteltroy did that a few years back. Held a gang of young lads back for the club competitions. Disgraceful carry on

1 Like

Yeah it happens in every county. Some more deliberate than others. Jimmy Bruen is a prestigious competition but due to handicap eligibility criteria you can see how it could be manipulated.

That was funny as fuck :laughing:

Was it Souness as manager? Made it about 150% better. He’s a pundit now, passing off his opinion on other managers

Teaching pros often play off up to plus nine.

You can apply to be a teaching pro off a handicap of four. That’s why I don’t go for lessons. A lot of them are pure fucking chancers.

The guy I played with had a go off some of the smaller tours. He was a lovely golfer, but as I said, i was never overly impressed. He wasnt a whole pile longer than me. He was missing greens, he was still getting it around under par or par but it was due to not making mistakes more than anything else

I saw the Irish open then in Fota and the touring pros were doing things you wouldnt believe. Hitting wedges into par 5s for the second shot. The noise off their ball striking was just a different level to anything I’ve witnessed

2 Likes

A lot of Irish people haven’t been to a soccer game at a decent level live. I wouldn’t judge the difficultly of the game based on tv.

I’m surprised more people don’t compare golf and hurling. Lads that excel at hurling by and large would be playing it at home aged five or six and it’s a little bit like writing when you pick it up young it’s very easy. Not many lads pick up hurling at twelve or thirteen. Golf is the complete opposite in Ireland where most people pick it up at an older age.

I think soccer is by far the hardest sport to play at a high level. In hurling you can just start swinging and hitting lads shoulders and make a nuisance of yourself. In soccer you would just get humiliated if dropped in at a pro level off the street. The awareness required at all times, fitness and along with a very high skill level make it extremely tough to play.

3 Likes

He was actually a professional footballer

Your point seems to be that it’s harder to play in the premier league than it is to fill in at Junior B hurling, that’s a solid point in fairness

2 Likes

Lads, golf isn’t a sport

It’s much harder to play in the Premier League than intercounty hurling. It’s just basic maths really

1 Like

I’ve often played 5 a side games with gang from work and things like that, lads who never played soccer at any level really, gah lads, or lads that love the game and could talk about it from high heaven.

To watch them play it is absolutely fucking cringe inducing. I mean fucking awful now. A fella can know what to do, but unless his body is used to doing it, it just looks appalling.

I’ve played organised soccer from the age of six and even if I went back now my body would know what to do when receiving the ball, where to be to get it, how to turn out with it into space, all in one touch.

It’s the opposite then with me and hurling, I love to talk about it, but I never played it when I was a kid and never taught my body the skills required. I can hit the ball alright, but the knacks of first touch and doing it under pressure would mean I’d make a holy show of myself in a game under pressure.

4 Likes

One thing you don’t appreciate when watching soccer on tv is how quick the top players are.

1 Like

Of course, but it’s bizarre to think that an inter county hurler can get to where he is by swinging and hitting lads shoulders

1 Like

Jackie Tyrell is one of the most decorated hurlers of all time and he can barely rise a ball.

To have the best skill set out of a billion people means a lot more to having the best skill set out of a few thousand

Agreed

I thought I was a good swimmer in primary school. Training 5 mornings a week at 6am and all that stuff. Breaststroke was my strongest and I fancied myself no end. In 6th class we went out to a gala in Coolmine and I was racing against Gary O Toole in 100metre breastroke. I had no idea who he was and with the misplaced confidence of youth I expected to beat him and the rest. The gun went off and I got off to a flyer and swam under water for about half the pool. After I surfaced I swam about 4 strokes before I met Gary O Toole coming back the other way. I didn’t bother too much with the swimming after that.

15 Likes

Amature jockeys and pro jockeys is the perfect example of not to big a gap .

Not sportsmen

3 Likes