Has anyone played soccer in scumhole council estates?

There is no fuckin way Beckenbauer had a notion what your uncle said. :grinning:

I remember Joe Gamble making awful game of him in the car one day. Your uncle was driving us home from a match and wanted to get the soccer scores on the radio. Joe kept giving him the address of the pirate radio station Kiss Fm, which was thumping out the dance tunes. He swore blind the results would be on soon, but they never came. Your uncle was fuckin and blinding.

1 Like

He was small at the time I think for basketball? There’s always exceptions.

i can actually imagine that happening

I cant recall playing against either of those teams.

I remember going down with a good midleton team managed by john o’Rourke to play wanderers. John picked himself up front with me. John wasn’t liked by the wanderers centre backs and john knew how to mind himself. The fucking skelping that went on that day. We were lucky to get out with all our teeth

1 Like

Toughest places to play in Cork

1. Everton
  2. Rockmount
  3. Leeds

The Everton crowd were mental. I had stones fucked at me when we played them at home in Midleton. We were the home team and they made our own ground intimidating!!! Only for their pitch is up by the airport there’s be utter carnage

2 Likes

yeah both those clubs are gone i think and would have been rough
John was a ramblers legends - got a winner v cork city in 1995 when the club still meant something

He was passed it then but by fuck could the man fight his battles

Leeds were bad allright, Mayfield and Rockmount - but all had serious teams
Temple United as well - thats from my AUL days- absolute vermin

1 Like

Glen rovers is the most intimidating place I ever played a match

Sacred heart killinarden… Now they were a ticking timebomb… Played them one time up there around Halloween… Was like the wild west round the pitch… Bangers getting fcuked onto pitch… Lads walking across the pitch with trollies full of gear for the bonfire…other Fellas on sidelines with dogs frothing at the mouth… Their club must have doubled as a boxing club, they were dropping lads with jabs and hooks off the ball… Only time in my life I saw a ball burst from a lad doing a stud up tackle… Some smell of shit on our bus going home… Proper togs filling.

7 Likes

You never played in Ringmahon back in the 80s/90s,
Tramore were a bunch of softies from the Back Douglas Road, usually tried to play a bit of football, Kieran O’Regan was Tranore, think he was a sub in the 83 FA cup final

Any time I played ringmahon they had fantastic footballers

Is stockdale the fastest irish field sport athlete in irish history?

He’s the thickest anyway

1 Like

That was always the way, but the old pitch was very tight and for throw ins and corners you’d be standing in the crowd for big matches, nobody ever stood outside the fence, you’d need a thick skin

Ah lovely. A grand roaster turn of phrase there.

‘The address’ to indicate the station’s frequency :joy:
*Unless ye were driving to some lad’s garden shed where they were pumping out dance music

4 Likes

My favourite story is still from on here about one of the Limerick lads playing a hurling match, and a horse ran into the pitch tied to a tumble drier.

thats some load of bollix. He was signed by North Carolina before he started his last year at high school he was so good. He didnt make the school first team in his 1st year starting out, which isnt anything unusual. And as Labane said, he was a lot smaller, being younger, than most other players. His second year he was a stand out for the high school team and brought the attention of NC to sign him. His high school team were ranked top in North Carolina, but lost the state championship game. Jordan has perpetuated the myth that he was cut or dropped in high school to keep his grudge thing going. Its common in a lot of sports, players or teams declaring themselves the underdog or that they have been written off when nothing of the sort happened, but they seem to need that sort of mental drive for revenge or to prove people wrong.

But to say “Jordan was shite in high school” is absolute bullshit. He was picked as a high school national all star and won the MVP award in the all star game.

1 Like

Theres lads on here saying the talent is there at 6 years old you fucking wexford tool.

That’s covered well in The Last Dance, his willingness to use meaningless, perceived slights to motivate himself, sometimes even making them up. It kept him hyper motivated but it’s also the carry-on of a complete lunatic.

1 Like