Hate crime legislation

clinging to mcabsentee’s apron strings so that you can have a weak and feeble crack at me?

all violent crimes contain a hate element and all are equal before the law

Classic TFK :grin:

2 Likes

Armed robbery- hating all the sweet sweet lucre the banks sit on?

You need to hate to put a gun in someones face

Wrong. Idiot.

Your stance against hate crime legislation just shows up your inherent backward tendencies.

there’s a lot of hate and impotent seethe in that post

you still havent defined a hate crime

Any crime in this country “motivated” by hate is already a crime. Assault, harassment etc. There’s not a stellar record in convicting those at the moment in the country. There’s an argument that it would help in gathering statistics but very little evidence increased sentencing works as a deterrent. Instead of talking about more of a garda presence on the street and better enforcement of laws the govt are getting praised for introducing extra legislation which I personally don’t think is needed. Do you think hate crime legislation would have helped that young lad avoid getting a beating at the weekend?

Jesus lads, a hate crime is one which is motivated by a prejudice against a particular group, colour, religion, sexual orientation included,
Shopkeepers not included,
It’s awful garbage/whataboutery to state that most crimes are hate crimes

1 Like

Gender/sex will be in there too I suspect.

And disability

and who goes about defining what the particular groups are? surely its a factor for sentencing as an aggravating factor rather than setting out separate offences?

if all person are equal, and equality is what we are striving for, then why is, for example, an assault against one person attracting a different or two offences then another?

Of course you don’t think it is necessary, that’s highly unsurprising.

An extremely stupid line of reasoning to try to support your backward beliefs.

It makes people feel seen is the argument. Maybe it does. Anyway the politicians get kudos for it. Meanwhile there’s still people with hundreds of convictions walking around the place battering people and getting light sentences. Status quo remains.

1 Like

keep it up with the illusory superiority there pal. the amount of rage emanating from your posts of late is a concern. dont worry, we’ve all got a buddy here in @myboyblue

1 Like

Give us a few examples of how you think it will impact society in a positive way like a good man. I’m open to convincing.

In the UK a chap was given a suspended sentence for tweeting the only good brit soldier is a dead one - under hate speech legislation. He deleted it soon after but was dragged to court and told he was lucky he wasn’t doing time for it.

Personally I think that’s rediculous and an example of where this type of legislation can lead to.

Also i may be wrong but aren’t you one of the ACAB crew? But you want them deciding what is and isn’t a hate crime.

What’s an acab crew? Why do you want me to inform you? You’ve stated that you’re against and further stated that you haven’t informed yourself about it. People who go around with opinions on things without having informed themselves first are idiots.

ACAB = “All cops are bastards”

BTW I’m not inherently against them I just don’t think they will achieve much. And it’s a nice soft win for politicians without actually enacting any meaningful change. Plenty of other things could be done as I said to keep people safe. A few guards stationed on the junction of George’s Street and dame street is one. The place is a war zone at the moment.

I’d say I’m fairly well informed by the way do I need you to link you a few studies… I’d be happy to if you just ask…

Glas and Helen sitting in a tree

Never heard that phrase before. Two of my best friends are Gardaí (cc lapsed poster Fluvio). I think we’re very lucky with the police we have in Ireland, massive problems with the organisation but mostly good people in it.

The arguments for hate crime legislation are fairly simple and convincing in my view. Hate crimes are worse and should be punished accordingly. The reasoning this is so is fairly clear and it’s accepted by most normal thinking people. It’s why genocide is a separate and worse crime to mass murder. It’s also about protecting weaker people in society.