Have you ever seriously considered emigrating?

A big consideration is obviously what you would do for a living. If you are going to be an employee over there what is the worst that can happen, you give it a go and if it’s not for you after a year or so then move back to Ireland. (You’re children are fairly young I think.) If you are putting you’re life savings into your own business over there it’s a different matter.

I left for two years and never came back.

18 Likes

Why?

And to further that where to go. I think unless you speak a language fluently you’ll never fit in truly. Now you don’t have to live in a gated community in Dubai or some ridiculous form of emigration but you won’t get the locals until you get the language. And that takes years from scratch.

Aside from language, what else is the most important thing to consider, weather, public services and jobs etc. What’s the answer, France?

1 Like

Very seriously considering it at the moment and Lisbon is the preferred destination. It’s a big fucking decision though and there’s a lot of procrastination happening now. Will decide one way or the other by the end of the summer hopefully. A lot happening in next couple of months so just parking it for now.

4 Likes

I’d like to be able to speak fluent Spanish or Portugese myself and immerse myself in that culture if I was emigrating.

Thoughts of going to the likes of Canada, Australia or New Zealand wouldn’t genuinely interest me at all personally.

Saying that, I’m happy enough where I am at the moment in co Limerick.

1 Like

@Thomas_Brady haven’t you already emigrated to Cork?

3 Likes

How many years ago? Had you any Polskie before it

1. Not a word

Fair fucks. How long before fluency and before you felt like a local

@Thomas_Brady The remote work thing has really made this an option. I suspect you may not even have to leave your job as part of the move?

We’ve a couple of people emigrating who’ll stay working for us. The tax thing is a bit of a hassle but manageable. Before Covid it just would not have been on the table at all.

I know 5 lads living in Spain, Marbella, Valencia, Alicante and barcelona

1 Like

Lads giving a simplistic absolute aye or nay on emigrating to the states…you literally couldn’t make it up. Sure you might as well say emigrating to europe is all the one regardless if the destination is somewhere lovely like the italian alps or somewhere entirely different …like poland.
There’s no comparison between new york and wyoming, or between seattle and canada…

2 Likes

Lad in Marbella in construction, money good as he’s there’s plenty of ex pats there, lad in Valencia cheffing but money ain’t great, lad in Alicante is gardiner , again money not great, one lad in Barca is into marketing other lad in finance, both making decent wages

Get out to fuck if you are able, anywhere is better

Not the best example… Vancouver and Seattle can see each other

As you can probably recall @Thomas_Brady, I was applying for jobs all over the UK and a few in Europe before I landed up here. I did have an interview in Cardiff, and we were ready to make the move, but the woman who got it had been there for a few years, waiting on something permanent. Herself was pregnant when I went for the interview, but was fine with making the switch. Didn’t happen, of course, in the end.

You never feel like a local. The minute you open your mouth they know you’re a foreigner.

1 Like

I did an interview for a job in America 12 years ago. It’d have been an internal move within the company I worked for at the time.

Didn’t work out. The department I’d have joined went to shit a few months later, so probably was a good thing. Could have been a green card/visa shit show.

You are back every few weeks