He deserves a thread of his own

Irelands warrior poet and top Musician Damien Dempsey :clap:

I would ask those other fans of Damo to post their favourite youtube vidoes and song lyrics of the great man on here and any other related news.

I am going to start this thread with his classic Colony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvQ80Z9Fzg

Later I plan to post as to what is my favourite song of each of his albums

Please do, I am intrigued as to know what this guy has done. Colony and Barbados are fairly emotive alright, but I heard another song about apples and it was shite.

Factories, trains, and houses
The place that makes some strong
And hurries you along
Some grow old very quick there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DtqV-m0ld0

1 Like

He had a song about rolling down to Dublin town that was very catchy. Throw it up chewy.

Is Damo mainstream, obscure or alternative? Did you check in with Clarkey before starting this thread?

I’m of the opinion that Canadian Geese off his new album is the best thing he’s ever written, narrowly topping Spraypaint Backalley and Factories.

“On the flat of my back, on that field by the track, the Canadian geese flew by…in my mind, I up and joined with them…and we fly out to Ireland’s Eye.
We can be free, with a little car-key, rivers of tar can take us far…there are friends and lovers we have yet to meet, and tonight they are watching these same stars…”

Magic

I started listening to the man in June, as my ladyfriend was playing his Shots CD. Took two listens and I was absolutely hooked. I have no idea what he does to me, as by rights I shouldn’t be into this kind of stuff compared to the other shit I listen to. But I’m an absolute fanatic. If you watch the It’s All Good documentary that’s on Youtube, his producer and drummer John Reynolds says that it’s “the truth in the voice…that thing you’re always looking for”. I have to agree with that.

Fought in the lane, lost in the lane
Swallowed the shame, then I fought again
Fought in the lane, cried in the lane Swallowed the pain, then I fought again
Fell in the lane, got back up in the lane Died in the lane, and came alive again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6baK4OtxbKg

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 722790”]
I’m of the opinion that Canadian Geese off his new album is the best thing he’s ever written, narrowly topping Spraypaint Backalley and Factories.

“On the flat of my back, on that field by the track, the Canadian geese flew by…in my mind, I up and joined with them…and we fly out to Ireland’s Eye.
We can be free, with a little car-key, rivers of tar can take us far…there are friends and lovers we have yet to meet, and tonight they are watching these same stars…”

Magic[/quote]

Yes, it is a brilliant song and one which I will be posting shortly. I have been listening to it along with Chris & Stevie and Community on loop for the past week or so.

However good his albums are he is unbelievably good live. Haven’t seen him live in about 5 years but saw him about 5 times before that when I was between 17 and 21 and he was outstanding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVwbhkeZgM8&feature=related

“The inner city folk, well they all spoke with a tongue that was more like a fist”

On the reservation six miles north of the slums that some still missed.

I believe he’s touring England, Puke, no? Go and see him. His show (my first) in the Button Factory last month was one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. Going to go to Dun Laoghaire Pavilion and have tickets already for Vicar Street.

We drink cheap English cider, and smoke hashish from North Africa…I’ve been trying to get the mix right…but I haven’t got it right…tonight…

The priest calls around for tea, he always seems so terribly lonely,talks of industrial school, as he looks at me so cruel. -very underrated song that one, there’s a cracking version of him doing it acoustic with the lads for TG4

I checked his site there and he must be finished :frowning: . Aside from one gig in Switzerland he is back home til the New Year

Yeah, I think he was going to England straight after the Button factory show. Sure get home some weekend and if you can, see him in Vicar Street on December 22nd.

I won’t be home til the 29th of December this year. I will go out of my way to see him in 2013 though

That piece of Canadian Geese is my highlight of the new album - sheer genius. Do you lads have the full song lyrics? I was looking in particular for the outro piece that starts with “Do you dare to be free?..Can we snatch victory…From the jaws of these streets now…” Absolutely magnificent poetry throughout that song. :clap:

Not On Your Own Tonight
Well I can see the evil
But I can feel the good
Shining out to greet me
From within bone and blood
I’m throwin’ off this loneliness
I can’t stick it anymore
Only need myself tonight to open up that door…

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The wonderful Dublin Town:
I be signing on, off Gardiner Street
See all the people struggling just to make ends meet
The more unfortunate ones be begging at your feet
We’ll have to send a warning to the socially elite

Damo was raging against the government and fat cat banker bastards as far back as 1999. :clap:

[quote=“Bandage, post: 722799”]The wonderful Dublin Town:
I be signing on, off Gardiner Street
See all the people struggling just to make ends meet
The more unfortunate ones be begging at your feet
We’ll have to send a warning to the socially elite

Damo was raging against the government and fat cat banker bastards as far back as 1999. [/quote]
Thats the one I was referring to earlier, a poet alright :lol:

Yeah, it’s a fantastic song alright. A brilliant message and well before its time. :clap:

Sure he wrote “Celtic Tiger” around 2001. He’s a visionary.

:clap:

Hear the Celtic Tiger roar
I want more!
But you shall not have any
Other Gods but me…

Hold Me

The last time that I saw you,
I shouted and I fought you,
That awful night we parted,
Was when this nightmare started,
But now tonight I see youuuuu,
And Jesus, how I miss you.