Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

It’s wildly overrated but it is a Mediterranean city in the summer so it won’t exactly be torture. I dragged the missus to the Nou Camp and she actually found it impressive.

Has some very unique architecture too, which is worth seeing, even with an open-top tour.

1 Like

It is absolutely worth seeing. It’s spectacularly beautiful, I was expecting the standard inside of a cathedral and then I turned a corner into it to see the first view of the inside and realised after a few moments that my mouth was open gawping at it.

3 Likes

if youre gonna do the sagrada familia, do it early i the morning to try and avoid the queues. parc guell is fantastic but it gets very busy. theres also a gaudi house on the main drag which has a nice cafe attached to it.

if you want to splash out, and dont have the kids, take the missus for a cocktail in the cocktail lounge in the W hotel theres also a huge shopping centre where the bullring used to be and theres restaurants on the top which are a bit gouging but youll have great views over the city. head up the hill to montjuic and check ut the magic fountains on the way

1 Like

Would you recommend the bread and tomatoes in Barcelona, glas?

4 Likes

The columns inside look like tree trunks

I think that’s more of a Madrid thing, but yes, I think it’s lovely.

went through Dublin Airport last week, T2. Took ten minutes from parking the car to get to the other side of security. No queue at the automated bag tag drop, no queue to get into the security check, and no queue at the check either, 9.45am flight. Charles de Gaulle on the other hand, a complete clusterfuck. No automated bag drop, and they only opened up check in 90 minutes before the flight departure. Took nearly an hour to queue up and drop bags and they taking an age and printing boarding passes even though we already have them and are checked in. Passport check then, a disaster. One lad had a problem, so instead of moving him to the side, they let no one through for half an hour. Train then to the gate, a queue at security and turn up at the gate half an hour after the flight was supposed to leave. Plane was still there anyway but it was some sham.

Just to second the suggestion of the market off the Ramblas. Had a lovely few local beers in the corner of it a few years ago and the tapas came from the stalls in the market. I wouldn’t normally eat fish but a small plate of Hake came out and I haven’t eaten anything like it since. It’s up near the top from what I remember, not down towards the port/Columbus statue

2 Likes

Just back from Cambrils resort this week with the family. Superb holiday and absolutely recommended for those with smallish kids. Each day pretty much the same with pool etc but great fun and very well set up and run. My kids are small so we weren’t set up for the shows and kids club but seemed to be a great family buzz in the evening at it.

11 Likes

I am off to Cambrils later this summer with the family. Did you do all inclusive and stay in the resort or did you go out in the evening? Any recommendations are welcome

Didn’t see an all-inclusive option. Are you sure we’re talking about the same place. I’m talking about here https://familyresort.cambrilspark.com/en/

In terms of going out in the evening - we mostly stayed on-site. Largely because of small kids etc. We went at the same time as a couple of other families so tended to relax in the evening outside chalets etc with wine. The shows onsite though seemed like a good buzz with families down having dinner/drinks and then kids having craic out playing soccer etc

You could rent bikes onsite which would be handy to get down to Cambrils town. We went to the beach one day as well. A family near us went to PortaVentura theme park too.

1 Like

Sorry I worded that badly - I was more so wondering did you venture out in the evenings and was there much about for dinner and whatnot.

I have a beach front apartment rented off booking.com and two kids under 2.

We have Bella italia at start of next month - awaiting @Juhniallio to tell me where I can watch Dublin smash Mayo in the AI semi final

We were next door in Sanguli on our last holiday pre Covid and heading back there in 3 weeks.

It’s a great set up.

1 Like

There are some nice restaurants in Cambrils town which is not too far away. There’s a boat trip to Cambrils town as well you can do.

You can (in Sanguli anyway which is the same operator) barbecue

“old town”

Wandered into Salou one night to have a couple of beers/tapas and it was grand. Cambrils town is meant to be quite nice. Seemed like a reasonable amount of restaurants around from the bar/tapas end up to fancy restaurants. Got a recommendation for Rincon De Diego which is a Michelin star place I think but didn’t get to it.

1 Like

We were in Spain for 10 days until the weekend. Eating out is more expensive but the low price of drinks offsets it everywhere finishing at 1130 though, they explained it as due to short staff.

Good to get some sun

3 Likes

What part? If you know where to go you can eat relatively cheap in Spain.

Cambrils is a lovely spot, very nice restaurants backing on to the harbour

3 Likes