Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

Went to Venice in early May a good few years back. Wasn’t too bad in terms of crowds. Absolutely loved the place. You can get the boat out to Murano and Burano as well which are nice little places to buy over priced colourful glass things.

1 Like

Was there a fortnight ago for a day. Remarkable spot. But it was spilling rain. Get a walking tour. How long are you going for?

1 Like

There for a full week, so will do a bit of touring around.

I didn’t think the crowds were bad when I was there either in May. The place is extraordinary. The wealth must have been off the charts back in the day.

5 Likes

Cavtat is supposed to be nice

1 Like

I’m still amazed humans sculpted some of those structures. You wouldn’t get lads to do it nowadays.

Ogle, perv and lech are my three suggestions

The water buses are a great system.

Marvelous

I loved the fact that the equivalent of a berlingo is a boat. Lads pulled up to do a job on a shopfront beside our restaurant. All the stuff, tool boxes, materials etc in the boat. Pulled in at the side of the canal, out they hop, boat disappears.

I got a kick out of seeing the DHL boat making deliveries.

1 Like

Would it be a good place to look straight up into the air at aeroplanes passing

1 Like

Coast road up towards Split is lovely

1 Like

You wouldn’t get permission to build in a marsh sure.

And reclaiming land. Can you imagine the outrage

City walls are a good tour.

That’s 200 km away. Split is amazing. Never knew it had such Roman remains.

2 Likes

Your friends the Venetians owned most of the Croatian coast until relatively recently.

Some of the Italians still want parts of it back

Until Napoleon’s time if my tour guides were correct.

Little did Napoleon know he was creating Italy at the time

• Cavtat is gorgeous and well worth a visit
  • You’d easily pass a few hours strolling aimlessly around the old town within the walls
  • Theres a couple of bars almost on a cliff edge outside the town walls over the sea. Buza Bar I think one of them is. Just looks like a doorway into nothing and you’d easily miss it
  • A day trip to Montenegro is supposed to be spectacular. Never done it but heard people race about it. You’ll probably see a bunch of older folks on the flight heading to Medugorje which is only 2 hours away. If your anyway religious it’s probably worth a trip but not something I’ve done.
  • If you want a splurge look up Bowa. A restaurant on a private island about 30 mins boat trip away. It’s a peak into how the other half live. We were treated to it as part of a mates wedding years ago. Twas ridiculous. I’d be half afraid to find out what it cost.
  • And the Walls tour as was said is really interesting. Goes into how they built the old town and how they handle some of the quirks of it nowadays.

Bring comfortable shoes. The sort of place that while small you could spend hours and hours walking around

4 Likes