Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

It seems that geography may not have been your strongest subject all those years ago.
The itinerary outlined (north Donegal/Antrim) would be easier accessed from a base in Derry. Based in Cavan youā€™re minimum 2.5 hrs from your stated targets.
Switch tack to the joys of the Erne waterways and the multitude of events thereon. Youā€™ll fit in 18 in the magnificence of the Slieve Russell and work around that.
All that North Antrim shit is just that - shit. Lumps of rocks and a rope bridge FFS. Granted youā€™ll get a better quality of March up there but youā€™ll find Rossnowlagh the finest from a few miles from base.

3 Likes

If @Locke really wants to treat himself he should go to Bundoran.

Iā€™m thinking maybe the Giants Causeway is too much for them. Between getting there and then the walking. I did it around 20 years ago and do remember it being a bit of a treck. My daughter wouldnā€™t be that light on her feet and in fairness it is underwhelming when you get there.

Thanks for the link though, appreciate it. :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ll gut you, you cunt.

I was thinking the same Boxty tbf. I put ā€œthings to do in Leitrimā€ on TripAdvisor yesterday, still waiting for something to come back :laughing:

With all the lakes around south Cavan and as you said, the likes of Leitrim/Sligo/South Donegal close enough by Iā€™m sure that there are great outdoor activities to partake in.

cc @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy , Donegal is the 32nd county for me to get too, have been sitting on 31 for 20 years, Bundoran sounds good for a day trip with young teenagers.

You (and that cunt @anon67715551) are right enough. Teenagers wouldnā€™t appreciate sight seeing so much maybe. Mind you, Donegal has a lovely coastline and loads of good beaches.

Iā€™d recommend the coastline drive from Portrush to Glenarriffe for any mature couple. Itā€™s a match for anywhere in Ireland.

I did that drive back in the day, lovely so it was. Spent the night in Portrush on a weeknight, the place was dead. Got the hop though :heart_eyes:

1 Like

But he has people up there!

3 Likes

We used Derry as a base and went up and around Donegal a few years ago.

1 Like

I mightnā€™t have phrased that accurately enough and to make amends Iā€™ll praise the beautiful rugged coastline but canā€™t find the enthusiasm for the 2 mentioned ā€œattractionsā€.
Donā€™t give me the Bushmills offering, @Locke is fed up traversing distilleries, he being a minority shareholder in the Midleton one.

1 Like

Bushmills is a grand town, but thereā€™s an awful lot of protestants in it.

2 Likes

Canā€™t say fairer. I withdraw and apologise for my ill judged reaction

1 Like

Oddly enough thereā€™s a catholic church in it but Iā€™ve never met a taig from Bushmills.

A quick back of a fagbox day for you might run like thisā€¦ Within an hour from Cavan town.

A) The Drumshanbo distillery tour.
B) The Arigna mining experience, 10 minutes from Drumshanbo.
C) Battlebridge aquatic park, 10 minutes from Carrick-on-Shannon.
D) Early evening grub - the Oarsman in CoS.
E) Back to base via 9 holes in Ballinamore GC. (bring wellingtonā€™s).

3 Likes

It begs the question, why would anyone go abroad on their holidays?

6 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood lads who like to go on holiday and spend the entire time driving around. I did it a couple of times out of necessity when kids were younger and itā€™s a pain in the arse

Flashbacks to 80s childhoods when ā€œgoing for a driveā€ was a thing.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a balance, after two or three days in a place Iā€™m usually done with it and would be keen to move on. Iā€™d much prefer a fortnight abroad spread over four or five different locations than a fortnight of staying in the same place.

2 Likes

Because ā€œladsā€ like me who do that are looking for this sort of thing

And some time make the time to drive out west
Into County Clare, along the Flaggy Shore,
In September or October, when the wind
And the light are working off each other
So that the ocean on one side is wild
With foam and glitter, and inland among stones
The surface of a slate-grey lake is lit
By the earthed lightning of a flock of swans,
Their feathers roughed and ruffling, white on white,
Their fully grown headstrong-looking heads
Tucked or cresting or busy underwater.
Useless to think youā€™ll park and capture it
More thoroughly. You are neither here nor there,
A hurry through which known and strange things pass
As big soft buffetings come at the car sideways
And catch the heart off guard and blow it open.

Seamus Heaney

2 Likes

Youā€™d struggle to see all that with the eyes on the road and the kids screaming in the back and you truly to take a photo for the scenery thread

Ah you see, I leave that bit out. 'Tis just myself and herself now :smiley:

2 Likes