Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

An hour is perfect, travel light, stick your bag under the seat in front of you and Robertā€™s your fatherā€™s brother

1 Like

So missus Oā€™Sullivan would be the mother in law once removed?

Very few of the European ones are, maybe Schipol, but even that wears thin fairly fast.

Frankfurt, DĆ¼sseldorf, Berlin, Milan (Malpensa / Linate), Rome (x2), Gatwick, Heathrow, Brussels, Barcelona all shitholes really.
CDG is a pain in the hole, I canā€™t really remember Madrid but Iā€™d hazard a guess and say it was a shithole.
Zurich & Copenhagen are actually not too bad and Dublin Airport (apart from the Ryanair Terminal and the Aer Lingus temporary terminal) is actually not the worst

Bingo

Sorry mate, Iā€™m not an international businessman, when I go to an international airport itā€™s very likely to be a new experience for me,
Perhaps I should have stayed out of it :+1:

Thatā€™s fair enough, and I got that from your post. I suppose when youā€™re in and out of these places regularly the novelty wears fairly thin. Every extra minute you get in bed before an early flight is worth it for me

2 Likes

Gatwick and Heathrow are grand places to while away time now that thereā€™s a decent terminal in Heathrow. CDG has to be the worst ever. Completely counterintuitive as regards getting around it. Some prick of a conceptual architect must have designed it.

3 Likes

No your view is valid here. This is a holiday thread. The international businessmen have their own thread to wave their willies in.

2 Likes

Munich with the new terminal is ok.

Airports are generally soulless kips and Iā€™d prefer to spend as little time in them as possible. Notable exception for Frankfurt which had a Hooters bar. Incredible wings too. Insert your own gag about breasts.

3 Likes

What airline was that? Never seen it happen.

Airports are enough of a pain without spending hours extra of your time in them. Work related travel is utter shit, canā€™t understand anyone boasting about it, time you never get back.

1 Like

How many flights have you missed ?

In my life? One I think. Personal flight, turned up on the wrong day a day late.

I will say I find work related travel more stressful. Itā€™s invariably an early morning flight and I donā€™t sleep well the night before in case I miss my 5am alarm or whatever bullshit time you have to get up at. But even then, I worked in Shannon airport a few summers in college and Iā€™d be fairly tranquilo about flying anywhere after that.

So youā€™ve never hit a traffic jam or a large security queue at an airport. An hour is a very small window to leave if anything goes wrong at all.

I always buy the fast pass myself.

Started getting that for Stansted as its a cunt of a place, with one big queue and depending on time you could be 40 minutes going through security and if the shuttles not running another 30 minutes getting to your gate

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t happen too often in this day and age. Staff will generally let you through if you politely have a word if youā€™re in danger of missing a flight. Honestly itā€™s like getting a bus, know the rules and timing and you can generally walk straight through and onto the plane. Gate closes 10 mins before the flight leaves for ryanair, youā€™re grand to walk up right til then. Anything longer distance or if youā€™ve checked in bags and you probably have even more time.

So you purposely fast track security by purposely being late for a flight? Making someoneā€™s job harder so you can be selfish.

Imagine boasting about that

Mad not to get it for Stansted.