Holiday destinations for the accompanied traveller

I’d say we’ll be looking for hotel and restaurant recommendations for Tehran this time next year.

@Fagan_ODowd @briantinnion @Bandage @artfoley
Lads we’re going to Italy in July and I’m goin to hire a car,what’s the story with insurance excess etc,I don’t want to be mugged off by some Guido when I get to the desk.I vaguely remember someone on Matt Cooper or Newstalk saying you could get it here before you go.

1 Like

Fair few places do it

2 Likes

I’m considering flying over there to see a gig (Jonathan Richman) in June.

https://mamalovesitaly.com/driving-in-italy-tips/

1 Like

Any recommendations for hotels/restaurants in Venice??

Stay away from ones near San Marco and Rialto and as they’ll fleece you for sometimes average food. Go to ones a few streets away and down quiet street for decent value.

1 Like

Have any of ye been to Disneyland Paris with the chisellers?

Yes - went in November

Any tips or observations for me?

Have you booked anything yet? This is coming from Mrs Spidey now:
Go outside school holidays.
Book half day in Walt Disney studios and then 1.5 days in main disneyland. Bring your own food/drinks as a) it’ll be cheaper and b) nicer. Get in very early and knock off main rides first. No crack queuing in heat in middle of the day.
The app is a godsend to tell you of queue times for each ride so you can be flexible between rides. There is no fast pass. It’s €12 per person per ride to skip the queue.
Buy all your Mickey/Minnie mouse ears/costumes in Penney’s before you go and hide it from kids. DO NOT buy it in there - 5 times the price.
Book good restaurants months in advance on the app for dinner. They get booked up quickly on release. The Disney village outside after is good craic. Sports bars, shops, cinema and restaurants. King ludwigs castle is the best and does happy hour on great beer. Dads need to have their disneyland too.
No major need to stay in the main Disney hotels beside resort. BB and explorers just outside are just as good and free shuttle bus is very frequent. They are cheaper, have pools/slides and do good breakfasts. You can load up on food too to bring to park. Buy snacks/drinks at shop in railway station outside Disney before you head in.
Wear comfortable walking shoes - you will be on your feet all day. Do whatever parade is at the end - kids love it.

8 Likes

Is Marseille as grim as they say? You can fly there from Shannon for cheap enough around the time I’m looking, anywhere close enough that would be good?

@Juhniallio have you been to Bella italia yet?

Avignon is about an hour away

Marseille has been on my list for a while I think that’s the next spot I’ll go to when I get a weekend away. Parts of it are dodgy as fuck but some nice areas too I’m told. Montpellier is the nearest big city to it. Might be too far for a weekend but I’m sure there’ll be regular trains and Montpellier is a great spot, I’ll go back I’d say.

what is the situ for travelling to spain these days?

my covid vaccine cert is gone over the 270 days. do i need an old booster to get into spain?

An antigen test would prob suffice

They’ve done away with that nonsense now but I was there in April and you still have to do that passenger locator form and you have to do masks in shops too or did 6 weeks ago anyway. They may have come to their senses by now.

Arrived yesterday thanks. Awesome so far.

1 Like

I liked it. Grimy rather than grim. Can go plenty places from there v handy.