Holidays in Ireland thread (Laois is for prisoners)

Yes. Factor in some pints and you’ll be fine

1 Like

It’s glorious here in the Silent Valley at the base of Slieve Binian. The Mournes are proper mountains.

Spent an hour in Kilkeel earlier, fuck me, I can see why Mary McAleese got out of there. Probably the only shithole town in South Down - a Unionist enclave in a mainly Nationalist area of the county. They say the Main Street is separated into Prods on one side and Cafflicks on the other, couldn’t tell you which is which though. Warrenpoint and Rostrevor are lovely spots, as is Newcastle.

Heading to Newtownards tomorrow, might see some of Strangford Peninsula while up there. Lots of intensive dairy farming in North Down, if you’re not looking at a church, you’re looking at a herd of cows. It reminds me very much of the Golden Vale - only with things to do and not boringly flat.

17 Likes

As a sheltered Free Stater who rarely ventures north, I couldn’t believe my eyes passing thru Kilkeel a few years back. The Israeli flegs were the starkest symbol of the mindset up there.

3 Likes

They’re just people like me and you, the mindset is slightly different on one subject only, I spent a bit of time up there a few years ago and found them to be the finest

Newcastle is a smashing town @Gary_Birtles_Lovechi closest thing to a big English seaside town that we have, nothing wrong with that, the Mournes and that area are spectacular

1 Like

There speaks a man who has never been to Rathfriland. Very few fishing harbours are attractive but Kilkeel must be one of the worst of them all, the West Aftricans working there greatly look forward to getting back home to civilisation.
I spent a great day at Ulster Folk Museum at the weekend, first time there and was hugely impressed. Its a very pleasant walk even if you never stepped inside any of the exhibits.

1 Like

It’s not even the flags (although they don’t help), the place is just industrial and bleak. You’d think as a seaside port it would take a leaf out of Killybegs book.

No I haven’t been to Rathfriland yet. Although I did stay just up the road last night in Mayobridge. Staying in Ballygowan tonight near Newtownards.

1 Like

Full of watery cunts so it is

3 Likes

Anyone here been to Kilkea Castle?

In Kildare?

Was at a wedding there 10 odd years ago

Ya, south Kildare

Was at a wedding there years ago. It’s in the middle of nowhere

1 Like

Was at a wedding there nearly some few years back, a barren spot.

Glowing reports.
It looks good from the photos.

yes - we based out of newcastle - smashing place
silent valley is very nice allright

1 Like

Annalog and Kilkeel are diabolical places, newcastle is top notch for grub and the the beach
Clough is a despicable place as well

2 Likes

@Gary_Birtles_Lovechi
thats the view from Dundrum castle

2 Likes

@Gary_Birtles_Lovechi
heading back on the ferry from Greencastle
Murlough beach is a great place
some great forests and parks in down also - The National Trust is a top top organsiation at maintaining AONB as they call them

is that the one up near bangor?