Holidays in Ireland thread (Laois is for prisoners)

Honest question mate, no need to be sensitive.

1 Like

Fair play coming back so often. It’s dreary enough though unless you’re drinking at this time of year.

3 Likes

Is it socially acceptable to take kids out of school during term where you’re based? I think we’ve 20 days to play around with here before Tusla get notified…but the pandemic was a bit of a game changer & my sense is folk aren’t as tentative as before about taking kids out for holidays during school time. Especially if the cost is substantially lower than at peak holiday season. There would surely be more outdoor options from Easter onwards when tourist attractions have reopened?

I find this time of year grand on a weekend day to throw the puddle suit type yokes on them & you can let them run around the beach or playground for an hour. But it can cold enough & you kinda need to get indoors again after a while. You have the likes of playzones & cinema as indoor options but a couple of weeks of that would be pretty samey.

I dunno, I’m not adding value here but I was disgusted by the tone of the replies to you from @TreatyStones & @gilgamboa & wanted to send my solidarity.

6 Likes

Miltown malbay beside the Armada hotel they’ve six holiday cottages all overlooking the sea and you can use the hotel then for pints and grub.

3 Likes

Sea Warrior Cottage Kilkee

It’s basically impossible to remove her from school unless it’s a medical emergency. If she went to an international school there would be more leeway but she is starting at a government school and they said leave without permission will result in suspension and eventually worse. Unfortunately I’m a teacher as well and can’t take extended leave so nothing lines up besides a fortnight in December.

Anyway thanks for the reply. Will mull it over but with the parents 90 and approaching 90 have no choice but to go back regardless of circumstance/price.

4 Likes

Do the inernational schools not let you have 1/2 kids of your own in there ?

Yeah but at half-price (at my place anyway), so basically 10k SGD which comes to close to 7k euros a year. In the local school you are basically paying for books/stationary and some other small expenses so it’s a no-brainer since we are an average income household for Singapore.

How long are you there now?

Ah that’s a bit tight. 15 years ago youd get at least one kid free in most of the international schools.

1 Like

Going to Portlaoise of all places Sunday evening. Long haired friend is graduating on Monday for online course. Anywhere you Ella’s would advise in terms of nice food/pub with a bit of craic?

Alarm Siren GIF

2 Likes

I know…

Woodlands have a sale on at the minute, midweek only obviously, but €200 for two nights, for two adults and breakfast included is a great deal for a decent hotel.

2 Likes

Off to Killarney for a night next week; where’s best to eat that is not the Thai place or Paul Treyvaud’s?

2 Likes

Kitty O’Sheas is top banana

1 Like

Go into Treyvaud’s in drag

2 Likes

Took a day trip to Inisheer (Oirr) today. Lovely spot, the weather peaked for an hour or so in the afternoon and we had a lovely swim on the most beautiful sandy beach, took bikes for the day and toured the island, saw the shipwreck that’s in the intro to Fr Ted, had a nice lunch in Tig Ruairi (I think), lovely bit of fresh plaice

Smashing day, you could probably knock a couple of days out of the island, a few nice looking pubs, big campsite

4 Likes

It’s a great spot. There’s only two pubs on that island as far as I know (one of them being the hotel and the other Tigh Ruari I think). It’s been a few years since I’ve been there but I always drank in the hotel, usually Tigh Ruari hasn’t been open any time I was there.

A third pub called Tigh Ned was the busiest of them yesterday, lovely big front garden filled with tables

1 Like