Holidays in Ireland thread (Laois is for prisoners)

indeed, why go with one of macs rat infested places when you can have one of juhys firetraps in portmarnock :smiley:

Wtf??

No electrical issues anymore. The man came and did it. Still wouldnt let @Mac stay here though.

It’s quite possible you’ve pushed it to the darkest corners of your mind. Stay strong @Mac

You may remind me Juhy. I’ve no clue what you’re on about

Here’s you getting catty with someone else about it. Read a few posts down.

FFS sake :roll_eyes:

Anyway @Locke, plenty of places along the coast for you to choose from. Presume with the newborn you don’t want to be completely isolated away?

As close to the sea as possible would be great.

The Beara peninsula is unreal. The drive from Adrigole to Lauragh over the Healy Pass must be the most scenic in the country, then from Lauragh to Allihies along the coast. Not a Yank tour bus in sight thank God and the Ring of Beara is too narrow in parts to handle vehicles the size of buses. €4.20 for a creamy pint of Guinness in O’Neills in Allihies then down to Ballydonegan beach then. Glengarriff is a good base to do a lot of West Cork/South Kerry from.

5 Likes

Check out Amber Springs (not a cottage)in Gorey, very kid friendly and a few minutes from Courtown.

With the Dubs locked up you might be able to get reasonable rates.

1 Like

Having an unreal good holiday in Wexford.

11 Likes

Headed hiking in the Mournes tomorrow. Anyone members been there?

1 Like

Do you know how Ballydonegan beach was formed?!

Yes. Factor in some pints and you’ll be fine

1 Like

It’s glorious here in the Silent Valley at the base of Slieve Binian. The Mournes are proper mountains.

Spent an hour in Kilkeel earlier, fuck me, I can see why Mary McAleese got out of there. Probably the only shithole town in South Down - a Unionist enclave in a mainly Nationalist area of the county. They say the Main Street is separated into Prods on one side and Cafflicks on the other, couldn’t tell you which is which though. Warrenpoint and Rostrevor are lovely spots, as is Newcastle.

Heading to Newtownards tomorrow, might see some of Strangford Peninsula while up there. Lots of intensive dairy farming in North Down, if you’re not looking at a church, you’re looking at a herd of cows. It reminds me very much of the Golden Vale - only with things to do and not boringly flat.

17 Likes

As a sheltered Free Stater who rarely ventures north, I couldn’t believe my eyes passing thru Kilkeel a few years back. The Israeli flegs were the starkest symbol of the mindset up there.

3 Likes

They’re just people like me and you, the mindset is slightly different on one subject only, I spent a bit of time up there a few years ago and found them to be the finest

Newcastle is a smashing town @Gary_Birtles_Lovechi closest thing to a big English seaside town that we have, nothing wrong with that, the Mournes and that area are spectacular

1 Like

There speaks a man who has never been to Rathfriland. Very few fishing harbours are attractive but Kilkeel must be one of the worst of them all, the West Aftricans working there greatly look forward to getting back home to civilisation.
I spent a great day at Ulster Folk Museum at the weekend, first time there and was hugely impressed. Its a very pleasant walk even if you never stepped inside any of the exhibits.

1 Like

It’s not even the flags (although they don’t help), the place is just industrial and bleak. You’d think as a seaside port it would take a leaf out of Killybegs book.

No I haven’t been to Rathfriland yet. Although I did stay just up the road last night in Mayobridge. Staying in Ballygowan tonight near Newtownards.

1 Like