Hunting & other rural pursuits

They’re alive with fruitworm unfortunately. Old hands like @Fagan_ODowd will give it long about ‘back in my day’ and ‘put a bit of hair on your chest’ and such, but, sadly, he has his troubles these days.

What is happening here? Apart from having two hands and only one mouth @Fagan_ODowd hasn’t a care in the world.

Would you drink the blackberry whiskey neat? I made a batch last year and found it fierce sweet; might try again this year and lower the amount of sugar. Berries in general were very plentiful last year; wild strawberries were ten a penny but I’d say the weather this year will result in a lower yield and also less sweet.

Oh God I would. I don’t mix anything into spirits. I wouldn’t be hard on the drink by any stretch but I’d drink whiskey, brandy, gin and port neat. You’re not tasting it otherwise.

1 Like

I found the remains of a bird in the middle of GAA pitch last week. All that was left was a plume of feathers and the birds wings.

Seems like it was a hawk of some sort. Not sure what would prey on that, and in such an open position. We do have peregrine falcons in the area, so maybe they were responsible.

Carcass fairly well cleaned off there, doubt it was another bird

That was a cat

The diggers busy ripping out nearly 100km of hedgerows near me at the moment.
All the sloe, blackberry, crab apples etc gone.

100km for a railway line?

48km of line.
So hedgerows both sides

1 Like

And habitats

1 Like

Yip, area is full of birds, foxes and hares.
The most disgusting part is they’ve put barbed wire on the lowest strand on the fence too so it will destroy any animal that tries to go under it.

What’s this now exactly?

The Foynes railway line. I thought you lived in Limerick?

Just looking for an update on what’s been approved and what’s happening, progress, etc.

Most of the track is up and apparently being shipped off to India.

They are now riping out all the hedgerows, chopping down any tree in the vicinity of the line and fencing it off.

The sleepers are getting broken up inside the port and shipped off to Germany to be burned.

1 Like

And this is part of what bigger picture?

Cargo? Passenger? To/From where?

Freight, I’m not sure where it’ll be coming from.

Before the line closed a lot of the traffic was Premier Molasses.

That is fucking cruel genuinely would anger you.

3 Likes