Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Game has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. If we can get gillane into one on ones that he wins again and again, and tipp could manage the same in recent years with Callanan, what could canning do with the ball given to him in the same positions?

1 Like

Callinan and Gillane are both far more mobile than Joe

1 Like

The year is a success for you now whatever happens. Great for such a young team to get a bit of silverware in the bag already and redemption for Richie as well. Bonus territory for Kilkenny from here on in. Nobody would expect Kilkenny to win against the two big beasts, Limerick or Tipperary.

I don’t think it’s your all Ireland, it’s just kk need everything to go right and that only happens so often …Galway had kk physically bet up in first half

1 Like

John Power compile that list?

1 Like

BS. Think it came naturally to callanan or the rest of the tipp team rotating around him? No way. It takes a lot of work to set a team up like that.

1 Like

Donal Og was on about the black card or the sin bin again today. AFAIK the KK lad didn’t even get a yellow :grinning:
Very simple solution to it imo, deliberate foul to prevent a goal, yellow card and penalty no matter where the foul takes place.
Black cards will only be bottled

3 Likes

Like most from Carlow, you have a great grá for Kilkenny

1 Like

The problem with Davy and the hurling he wants his teams to play is that it is an aspirational stuff where you keep the ball and move it quickly and accurately many times starting from deep and at senior intercounty you need far too many things to go right for it to work consistently and after a while it becomes straightforward to counteract. He caught lightening in a bottle with Clare in 2013 and last year in the Leinster final and for 2/3rd of the all Ireland semi with Wexford yet could/will never get those teams back to that level. The players realise the tactical failings yet as the whole show is beholden to the manager they know it isn’t going to change and just keep their mouths shut and trundle along til inevitably the flat performances see them out of the Championship.

He deserves huge credit for the A/I in 2013 and the 2019 Leinster title win especially given the low based Clare and Wexford were at when he took over in 2012 and 2017 respectively.

But the problem is that when your team spends so much time on this style of hurling and game plan of his is that fault lines eventually appear in other areas and a lot of the core skills needed to win at intercounty hurling are dulled. He should quite rightly be criticised for the flatness of some of his teams performances in Championship hurling and an inability to change it up. Whatever about the Clare side from 2014 to 2016 losing the physical battle and being blown out of it in rucks the current Wexford team is a far more physical side yet were outmuscled easily today by Clare and lazy in the tackle. Conor McDonnell may as well have been Shane O’Donnell 2014-2016 today, isolated up front with a sweeper and a man marker. Rory O’Connor having to make 30 odd yard runs to the sideline to get on the ball it is utter madness considering Clare’s inability to deal with runners, the sideline was like another defender for Rory Hayes today.

There was a passage of play which summed up Wexford today with about 6 or 7 minutes to go, they win a ball in midfield and the player had time to deliver it in long as they needed a goal, instead he played it square 30 odd yards out towards the sideline to a teammate who then played it 30 yards back to one of the defenders who then shifted it another 20 yards infield who then shuffled it poorly 20 yards to another team mate took it under pressure and had to brake a tackle and eventually drove it long under pressure which Clare mopped up easily. 4 unnecessary passes and 15 seconds for the Clare defence to set up and be touch tight - utter infuriating stuff.

18 Likes

I think that’s a bit harsh but I understand where you’re coming from. If they’d been a bit more ruthless thye could have had a couple of goals. Whelan has a habit of turning out away from goal when he wins good ball. But Kilkenny are never beat till as they say Cody blames the referee.

I’m from North London mate. My late father was a Kilkenny man.

So the Kilkenny hurlers are your second hurling team after the Carlow boys?

1 Like

My understanding is he plays an altered version of it with sixmilebridge where it’s more about working it to a position for a long range score. More limerick like basically?

I’ve a Kilkenny father, a Wexford mother and a Waterford wife. I’m like a soccer footix like @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy, I’ve loads of teams to cheer for.

3 Likes

Unnecessary panzer attack there kid

Championship hurling

1 Like

That Leinster Final result will hurt Galway just as much as KK turning over Limerick last year.

Both absolute freak results

1 Like

Canning is not a slouch and is levels above Gillane in what he can do. If Limerick can develop a game plan which largely revolves on gillane up front, and canning is many many levels a hurler above Gillane, what should Galway do? That’s how I sees it anyway.

1 Like

Sixmilebridge are a team full of big athletic hurlers from 2 to 12. They can play it a few ways but they are built on defensive stability and the likes of Golden, Alex Morey and Malone who are huge ball winners and carriers at club level. They play a very dogged side of no frills hurling imho.

It might be more accurate to say he destroyed that Clare team who had won 3 U21s.