Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Christ above, aside from anything else, imagine canning handed all the chances where Gillane dropped his Hurley?

1 Like

I think he nearly had it cracked last year with the half backs attacking in space and firing it over. They were playing it from the middle twenty yards in front of the half back into space and he’d gallop on and pop it over or whatever. The running into space was non existent this year and their passing was to static men all the time. Like a bad football team who can’t break the line.
TBF I’m not sure he hasn’t over achieved with that Wexford team last year and they are just reverting to the mean

1 Like

You could argue that too but he does deserve his fair share of credit for 2013

One benefit of this year is there’s no time for sitting around feeling sorry for yourself. They’ll get over it with news of the draw Monday morning

No reason he couldn’t adopt the same with Wexico though. Strange he didn’t

They hardly hit a wide between the Leinster final and A/I semi final though. The shooting they were doing was unsustainable imho. Not knocking them they were the hot hand and played very well but it is not a sustainable way of winning games. When the pot shots stop going over it falls to pieces

One all ireland should never be sniffed at for a county like Clare or Limerick. It’s a serious achievement to make the break through

2 Likes

They weren’t even getting into positions to take a shot this year though. It all seemed to fall apart

He has made them a very solid club team in fairness to him but they were winning county titles before he came in too. It’s not a case he transformed them. They were solid and experienced already

Wexford did only win two championship games out of six last season and one of those wins was over Carlow. Under Davy, Wexford have lost all four championship matches to Munster opposition and not won any of their four championship matches against Galway. His championship win record is moderate.

2 Likes

It’s hard to know whether that is a good achievement given the resources though.

Liam Dunne recorded Wexford’s first championship win over Cork in 60 years in 2016. He had wins over reigning All Ireland champions Clare and Waterford in 2014 and drew in regulation time with eventual All Ireland champions Clare in 2013. Wexford haven’t exactly kicked on results wise in four years under Davy from the base that Liam Dunne created.

3 Likes

These are the anomalies that the putrid round robin system can produce

1 Like

If for any reason Davy decides not to return next season then I’d like Liam to take over again.

Would it be fair to say that while there’s the likes of tony Kelly ,jamsie, Liam doyle etc Clare have produced more than their fair share of athletic types /mullockers that are hard to hurl against?

It’s worse tactic again when it’s cold and wet. It’ll very very rarely work.

Joe Canning is a far better player on the half line. The amount of unselfish and unseen runs top full forwards make is unreal and Joe never did it

1 Like

It’s always best to go out on a high.

If Davy had stepped away after last August - and that shambles today was overseen by someone else - his stock would be so much higher, even after that collapse against 14 man Tipp.

Likewise if he had slipped away from Clare in 2014 he’d be much more fondly remembered by his own. As it was he dug in, stayed way too long, fell out with even more people and most of Clare were glad to see the back of him for a finish.

If he’s still with Wexford in 2021 I can’t envisage a massive upswing in performances. More turgid displays like today will be the norm.

3 Likes

And lose all the revolutionary hurling Davy built from nothing?

You’ve taken this a lot worse than I expected

1 Like