Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

:grinning:

Chin up, if we meet again ye’ll walk it

He won’t touch Wexford. It’s obvious where’s he going.

Carlow?

No Carlow man in his backroom

Again, I think that’s rubbish. Canning was the best FF of all time. Then sweepers came in and teams double marked canning. That negated him. The game has moved on again. Calling canning heavy set or saying he can’t do what say Gillane does, or even Callanan nowadays, seems laughable to me. He is a far superior player to either. If his team mates are geared up to deliver ball to him in the same way Limerick or tipp do to Gillane or callanan, canning does far better, no doubt in my mind.

That just isn’t true. Joey Holden regularly kept him quiet and no sweeper in front of him. Most teams Galway played didn’t play sweepers. He did some great things but was also easily held at times and one dimensional.

You honestly think Canning is as athletic as Callanan or Gillane and could make those runs as often? He is a superior hurler to both in terms of the skills of the game, both of them are better full forward line players though

2 Likes

Lads. I’m from Limerick but don’t put gillane in a conversation with those two for fuck sake.

1 Like

Not on an overall obviously but Gillane is operating at a higher level now as a full forward line player than Canning did. The assertion that it’s easy to have the movement of a Gillane or Callanan is nonsense

1 Like

Callanan didn’t hit a ball today when tipp were struggling, then when they were on top he got a few of his points where’s he’s left on an island and gets out in front. He hit a pass against limerick but didn’t touch it otherwise. No comparison with canning or Reid over the course of their careers.

Canning doesnt have the fitness or movement for full forward but does in the half forward line?

Glas makes a good point. For years Galway made efforts to not be reliant on Canning. And now they arent, maybe its time to actually make him the focal point and use his exceptional talent, rather than fitting him into a team cog.

1 Like

This is a strange conversation. Canning is up there with the best hurlers I’ve seen. Eoin Kelly, Henry Shefflin, Tony Kelly, Cian Lynch, Tommy Walsh, JJ, DJ, TJ Reid in no particular order.

But he cannot, absolutely cannot, play the same role in the FF line as Aaron Gillane. Nor can he play Seamie Callinans role. He simply isn’t that type of player, he’s not athletic enough or quick enough.

1 Like

Yes. Canning is excellent at intelligently moving into space in the half line and getting passes. He isn’t ever going to make a lung busting run from full forward out to the side to give an option, then when that doesn’t work, 30 seconds later making another lung busting run to the other side. He just isn’t that kind of player and never did it when be played full forward

3 Likes

That’s because limerick and tipp specifically set up around them.

Put it this way, put each of them in the Offaly full forward line where there’s no special treatment or great ball in, who does better?

Think their record is 7-2-8 under Davy in championship hurling now. 3 of those wins against Laois, Carlow and Westmeath where they would have been strongly tipped. The two wins against Kilkenny are the real standouts, as well as gaining an advantage on Dublin. Moderate enough record overall though.

People can hit the ball in the general direction of where runs are made at lower levels also. Canning would probably be a better full forward in the 1980s

I would argue that there isn’t another player in the country that can do what Gillane does inside there to be honest. When you look at what he does closely, it’s fuckin phenomenal. OK, he could be a lot more clinical, but he’s basically comfortable in being a 1 man Full Forward line covering across the full line, and can win it whatever way it’s put in there

2 Likes

He’s basically unmarkable any way you want it, just needs to improve the finishing

1 Like

Liam Dunne also lost by 13 points to Dublin in the 2016 championship and by 7 at home to Offaly in that seasons league. That coupled with heavy humblings at the hands of Limerick and Kilkenny in 2014 and 2015 took some of the gloss of those good days against Clare, Waterford and Cork.

You think tipp just hit it in his direction and he happens to be there? They have good ball landing in front of him, have for years. When they are on top. When they aren’t, callanan is invisible like he has been against limerick a few times. How come he can’t make hay then?

1 Like