Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Galway have basically been a top team for a decade and Joe Canning played full forward for about half of that. Whatever about his merits at full forward in his younger days, as @maroonandwhite says he has had a lot of injuries and I don’t think he has the explosiveness to be effective there now bar throwing him in for a few high balls when a few points down.

You can’t just stand a lad there on the 14 and lamp ball down on him anymore. Daithi Burke for example would ate Joe Canning if they marked each other in a hypothetical

The commentator was talking about something else altogether while that was happening. Basically mentioned it as an aside that Maher had fetched it from the sky and knocked him like a skittle

Look who’s typing :joy:

This could take a while

Canning had a decent turn of pace circa 2009 to 2015 . The goal is 2012 final was an example .

You could play him anywhere

1 Like

Conor whelan is the standout candidate for that full forward role…he has all the attributes

1 Like

Would Joe Canning have been more effective than Burke in there today lads?

I think so

If they need goals throw him in there

Are people forgetting that in his prime Joe Canning was playing in average Galway teams.

1 Like

And nearly getting them there

Whelan is a bear.A hard cunt to stop when he gets goin.

1 Like

Probably but would he have been more effective than he was on the half forward line? More questionable

When? They’ve basically been a top team for 10 years

Exactly, on his own.Hes being compared to decent hurlers who were surrounded by great team mates

1 Like

One goal would have won the game. He’d still pop over the frees.

Effectiveness is subjective. We wouldn’t be having this conversation if they won

2012 Galway team was hardly average

My understanding is different, presuming Limerick win tomorrow. Kilkenny would not automatically get winners of a Clare-Waterford quarter final. If the two other semi finalists were Clare and Tipperary, Limerick would get Clare (for playing them before playing Tipperary) and Kilkenny would therefore get Tipperary.

A friend texted to say Jake Morris’s aunt had passed away last night. Even more poignant for him scoring the goal tonight

2 Likes

ALL Ireland wins would suggest otherwise

Well exactly but I thought he had a very good game as it was