Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Come on @Malarkey, spit it out.

3rd best team in Division 2 of the league
4th best team in the Leinster Championship.

He’s cack handed

Galway tried JC for years at full forward. Ultimately did not work for various reasons, even though the goal he got from there in the 2015 Leinster Final is beyond belief (and not far behind is his goal in the drawn 2012 AIF). Bringing JC to centre forward won the 2017 AIF and only needless draws cost Galway the 2018 AIF. Why? Because threading a needle is better than even the sharpest needle without thread.

I know people who have marked JC and they all say he is, quite apart from the extraordinary skill, by far the physically strongest player ever encountered.

JC’s one possible technical ‘weakness’? Ball on the ground. His first touch, ball flat on ground, is just possession table water. He cannot gain possession and turn in one go off a ground ball. Does not have the hips for it.

3 Likes

I’d say you’ll find fuck all examples of Shefflin going on the edge of the square to finish off a game.

He scored a fabulous goal off JJ in Tullamore one year too.

Always a better player in the half forward line.

1 Like

He went in in the first ten minutes against Limerick and killed off the game in 07

That’s different than putting him when they’re six points up to finish the job. So it is.

I’m on the beer all day but have been watching hurling now for almost 20 years and I have never seen anything like Richie Hogans performance tonight.

Absolutely incredible stuff.

A genuine all time great.

11 Likes

A simplistic view. No one cares about the league. Beat Kilkenny in Nowlan park, not many teams have accomplished that in a meaningful game. Dublin in Parnell park is always a potential banana skin, the game that cost us was the draw with Wexford in Salthill. I’m not saying it was a good year, my point is we have been consistently good since the beginning of 2017 compared to the prior eight years.

It’s a pity last year’s AI final was ruined by a harsh sending off.

3 Likes

No- not piling on the scores when on top in Nowlan Park is the reason they didn’t progress.

Can you imagine what he’d have done in the second half last August

…or against Carlow in Salthill.

That point on the turn was a thing of beauty

As Babs said, last year’s final was a complete disaster.

As a Tipp man I took no pleasure in last year’s hammering of Kilkenny.

Richie Hogans impact today from the bench was up there with Dowlings vs Cork in the 2018 AI semi-final

Maasive impact and he should have had a 2nd goal by right.

2 Likes

Maybe but not as much as NP. Every score there would have brought KK down too meaning they’d have to win in Wexford.

I love hurling and Richard’s performance tonight made me smile. Brought me back to those halcyon days of 2009-2016.

Brains over brawn.

3 Likes

He’s a genius on the ball alright. Pity he’s been so plagued by injuries

1 Like