Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

If that’s a free-in against Ronan Maher we can forget about hurling.

3 Likes

The rule is the rule. He sees it coming takes a few steps into it and takes the ball into his hand in order to charge the opponent with his shoulder.

He isn’t allowed do that, it should have been a free in.

Point taken.

No s/he’s right here.

We should take our learnings with grace and move on.

By the way, I agree it looked great from Maher, super play. It’s a free though.

The rule doesn’t give a definition for a charge

1.9 “a player may make a side to side charge on an opponent”.

It’s clear enough what it means, we all understand it as a shoulder.

That’s exactly what Ronan Maher did. We can move on so

:laughing: Ah lads…

Hang on though, he had possession, the cork player initiates the contact and he doesn’t have possession, so by your logic it’s a free out?

I get what you mean in other cases where are player charges thru an opponent front on, but you’re wrong here, nothing Maher does there is illegal.

He has the ball, he’s not allowed do it with possession.

Does he? You can see it both ways. The way I see it Maher is running into an ocean of space, he chooses the contact.

Lohan planted a fella behind Fitz to cut the back off him all game.

He must have watched Happy Gilmore

4 Likes

Davy seems to have one of these interviews every time he’s knocked out of the championship.

2 Likes

Using the empty ground to an advantage, its woeful and hilarious all at once.

That Ronan Maher shoulder is not charging, he turned his shoulder to the Cork lad as he came in to tackle him and met him on the shoulder. That’s allowed. Great play by Maher at the end of the game

A fella I know from Clare shared that article on Facebook and said what about the abuse you were roaring at a player in the county final :joy: Davy’s well able to give it

1 Like

The same lad could quite easily have decided to do it himself

Yeah I’ve just looked at the video, definitely wouldn’t have that as charging.

He’s running towards space, maybe he does initiate contact, maybe not, but either way the contact is coming and he’s allowed use his shoulder to ride the challenge, it remains a side-on-side challenge.

The current interpretation on charging stops you from running directly at a player when you have the ball. There was a good example in the Galway-Kilkenny game when Delaney was correctly blown up.

You can run directly at a player as long as you target the space just outside their shoulder, most players will use one arm to go over the shoulder & push past the player rather than get caught charging.