Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Sky might get the early game maybe.

RTE have the Leinster Football Final at 7pm so would make sense to have it back to back.

When they announced the live games they have at the start of the championship they listed one A/I quarter final with a 3:45 throw in

RTE announced yesterday they’ve one hurling quarter final live early on Saturday afternoon, with coverage starting at 1pm.

Tipp will win. Galway’s keeper is shit.

1 Like

Clare are real value at 15/8 imo

2 Likes

Tipp’s ‘keeper isn’t that hectic at all, either.

2 Likes

I think Waterford are deserved favourites but it will be pure attrition and could go either way. Clare should be shorter in the betting alright but not much either.

How are tipp favourites? Strongly fancy Galway.

1 Like

Does he leave his goal wide open for lads to tap it into an empty net ?

I grew up watching the likes of Ken Hogan, Ger Cunningham and Niall Patterson.

Proper cúl báires

1 Like

Was TJ at 25 the player he is now ? 2012, I can’t remember but always thought he didn’t really begin to Dominate until later …
if Gleeson lacks concentration , like lads here are saying , then surely the key is to keep him around the middle third where the most action is…giving a lad like that a free role won’t work, he’ll just day dream…

There is some truth to that but it is also tempered by the fact that Kilkenny did have Shefflin, Power, Larkin, Brennan et al as mainstays and big game players for the first 5 years when Reid was coming through and he wasn’t played as or needed to be the focal point that he became. Himself and Richie Hogan still gave plenty of fine performances before the two of them took up the mantle as their main men once those lads left the stage.

4 Likes

Was just about to say it. Could be a goal-fest.

1. Tipperary

They are the reigning champs but were well beat by limerick. That game favoured limerick heavily in a couple of ways. I was very impressed by them v cork and a few players seem to have found form. I full expect them to improve again and remain the favourites for me.

1. limerick

3/3 and look very good so far. Thought a lot of teams will learn from kk game last year and from waterford last night. Lack of goals is a slight concern and maybe a gems can expose the full back line.

1. Kilkenny

I reluctantly put kk in at three. On paper they are a weak team but Cody the fucker has these lads totally out performing their ability. They have such a great work rate they’ll always be tough to beat but at the same time they aren’t anything like the force of old.

1. waterford

Very good against cork and actually despite not really imposing a real tactical master plan on limerick they faired very well.i don’t think this year will be there year all the same as they are slightly shafted by the schedule. If they can win next weekend who knows…

1. Galway

That was a sceptic effort from Galway v Kilkenny. Listening to `shane o neill in the post match interview wouldn’t fill you with confidence he’s the man to turn things around in 7 days. There win v Wexford doesn’t look at impressive anymore either.

1. clare

Very hard to judge. Probably weren’t any worse v limerick than tipp but Wexford look a poor outfit and it was a very personal game for Lohan. If they couldn’t put in a performance versus Davy they might as well have packed it in for good. I’m not sure good they really are anyway. I think they’ll have a few players back for the next day which is a plus.

I don’t see any reason why Galway will turn things around in 7 days to beat tipp who have good momentum after their win versus cork. Tipp players proved they still have the Hunger and are coming into a bit of form. I expect tipp to win by 4 or 5.

Clare v waterford is tricky to call. A 6 day turn around after losing a final is tough to contend with for waterford. I think they are the superior team but clare have a little momentum Now and with the extra days rest I’d make it more of a 50/50 game as opposed to having waterford as heavy favourites.

As for the semi finals waterford/clare are exactly the sort of team that will really trouble Kilkenny in a semi final. Whether either is good enough to get over the line I’d reckon it will be much closer than many expect.

If I’m correct and tipp beat Galway with a few points to spare it really sets up a humdinger of a semi final. Tipp will have huge momentum and as underdogs would fancy their chances. I’d say the weather / Underfoot conditions will have a big impact. Limerick have a serious record in the league in recent times and they are very well set up to deal with poor conditions. It’s notable how good their handling is in particular in poor conditions. It would again be a 50/50 game for me.

1 Like

Yeah I mentioned this at the time too. Cahill would have eked out further improvement. For people who like passion and intensity you get just as much if not more from Cahill as you do with Davy and more often than not it is channelled in right way. In Bevans he has one of the sharpest minds in coaching at the moment.

Stopped reading after you put Tipp number 1.

14 Likes

On paper they have the best squad, the best manager and they are the all Ireland champions. The big q over them was if they still had the hunger but they proved that on Saturday against cork. If they weren’t due to meet limerick in the semi final they’d be a cracking bet to win the all Ireland at 6/1.

Their core hurlers are all the wrong side of 30 and they aren’t a team suited to winter hurling.

Limerick are the best team in the country on all known form and have won their three games so far by a cumulative margin of 23 points. It is their A/I to lose on all known form - the bookies agree.

To have anyone ahead of them at this juncture is bizarre

7 Likes

I thought Limerick were over this poor mouth shite. Sad to see.

2 Likes

I don’t think Waterford will have any hangover for the loss. They went in with nothing to lose and put in a very positive performance and I think they’ll be very satisfied given how early in the curve they are with Cahill and how little time they’ve had with him.
The 6 day turnaround is tight alright, but it’s only their second week in a row and they’ve only two games played in total.
They’ve gotten a nice draw in Clare, won’t be easy obviously but if they can bring the same level to the game as they did last night, they’ll beat them. They’d have KK in the semi final then, KK are KK, but they are beatable. @Fagan_ODowd must be licking his lips

Actually KK are nigh on unbeatable at the SF stage for the last two decades.