Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Limerick were beaten by a very average Kilkenny side last year when heavy favourites. Tipp are the reigning champs. I would agree if limerick meet in bog like conditions it’ll favour limerick hugely but If it dries up and tipp/limerick meet in an all Ireland semi where limerick are raging hot favourites I’d give tipp the nod.

I wouldn’t be reading too much into the limerick v tipp game. With the game under their belt it was advantage limerick. There is very little between the sides.

I wouldn’t see Tipp getting beyond next week. They looked average enough against Cork , Galway are well matched for them

I’d expect Clare to have a little too much for us.

Well I wouldn’t touch waterford with a barge pole at 1/2 on. They’ve lost a Munster final after putting in a big performance. It’s tricky to re focus in such a short space of time but they probably got the best side of the draw in clare alright.

I’m sure @Fagan_ODowd is loving the patting on the head that Waterford are getting from Limerick posters

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’d disagree strongly here but I hope your right. Limerick and tipp are the two best teams in it for me. I don’t see limerick losing to any other side bar tipp.

I’d say it feels like he’s back in the short trousers again.

TJ was on and off the team still when he was Gleesons age. Same with Callanan. Took both until the second half of their 20s to find consistency and until late 20s to emerge as the players they are now. Gleeson has time yet.

Joe Canning is possibly the only player of that bracket in the modern who delivered from his first game and continued delivering all through his career.

You can’t put a team in as number one on the condition they don’t play who you have ranked two. If they are number one they should beat anyone

The only way that Tipperary beat Limerick is if they keep in touch with them going into the last 10 or 15 minutes, and then the game becomes a dogfight. I think Limerick are comfortably a better team and would see off Tipperary in the first 50 or 60 minutes anyway; though I don’t think they will meet again this year, so the point is moot.

Article in the sindo yesterday (it flew on teh breeze all the way from Ireland in through me window in Luxembourg) to that effect. Horgan, Callinan, TJ and Joe all made their debut within 20 days of each other. Joe the man from day 1 but the other 3 had their travails.

2 Likes

They scored 2-18 and hit 18 wides in a monsoon.
There is no denying they were poor in horrid conditions in the 1st half but they were manful and hardworking playing into gale in the 2nd half. All their subs made positive impacts as well.

1 Like

Surprised Tipp are favourites against Galway but tbf they have played in horrendous conditions in both games

In reality Limerick will have a very tough semi final against Tipp/Galway but if they get over that they’ll have the handiest final in a long time against Waterford/Clare/Kilkenny.

I’ve put them in as number one as they are the reigning all Ireland champions.

For me limerick and tipp are clearly the two best teams in it. Both have momentum and have very little negatives. Limericks records in all Ireland semi finals as raging hot favourites isn’t great. Losing to clare in 13 and kk last year.

The two McGraths seem to be suffering from the double county final defeat but you will hardly have both as bad again. I make Galway 5 point favourites in this, they were cruising along 5 points up and got caught badly for 2 goals. They won’t let that happen again.

2 Likes

Ah here. They went two points up again after the two goals and cocked it up again.

1 Like

Cork ran out steam in their third week on the trot against Tipp. We’ve seen how three weeks in row can affect teams in recent years and Cork can manage less than most because they don’t have a lot of depth. Tipp looked ordinary for most of that game, I can’t see why they’d be favourites agin Galway.

The only thing in Tipp’s favour is they’ve been forced to change selections a small bit and may happen upon their best team. Is this some sort of Sheedy special? Forrest Gumping his way through championships and discovering his best by strokes of luck/accident?

Galway will know they should have beaten kk and can make a few tweaks and put the head down and right the wrong of that loss. Still the most dangerous team in it for me from a Limerick point of view.