Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Put a line through the form and you would have to have Tipp favourites to beat Galway; Kilkenny scraping over Dublin, who were beaten well by Cork, who in turn were beaten by Tipperary. Though I am not impressed by Tipperary at all and expect Galway’s physicality to come through.

Limerick ahead of the pack at the moment, but not half as much as some people think, a lack of goals focus a bit of a concern.

Tipp, Galway, KK and Waterford tightly bunched and honestly any of them could beat each other on any given day, I couldn’t call it.

Clare bringing up the rear.

They were 2 points up after 65 mins against KK, that was long after the 2 goals.

That’s the way I look at it. Galways win v Wexford doesn’t look much now. People are underestimating tipp. they are the reigning champions and if you look at how they timed their run hammered in a Munster final, beat Laois with a poor performance, beat Wexford despite being a man down and then hammered Kilkenny. They are coming with a similar run this year.

Yes I’ve mentioned it a few times now. Horgan the same actually. Callanan, Reid and Horgan were all probably at least 27 when they started to the levels of performance and consistency we know and expect from them now. Maybe later even for Horgan. It goes to show it’s a complete nonsense to talk of discarding players in their mid 20s. Also, a huge pity Dowling was forced to retire at 27.

When you consider him against the others in that light it really shows what a phenomenon Joe Canning is.

I suspect the Munster teams would beat any of the 2 remaining Leinster teams personally anyway. I would rate Clare as the weakest because of absences but id have no fear should we have to play KK and would fancy us to beat them, as I would Waterford

By a nose.

It’s a huge pity shane dowling career was cut short aged 26.

They were cruising up to the goals and there were plenty of positives for them, they tied up badly though and made poor decisions in the last 10 minutes, mainly though they just didn’t handle Richie Hogan.

In all seriousness, I’d have limited expectations on what Tipp can do from here. There’s too many things not going well at the moment, even though the second half v Cork was good. The McGraths look like they’ve nothing in their legs, and age is catching up on many.

Gleeson is 25 though.

Reid was an impact sub for Kilkenny when he was 19 and 20 and was a starter by 21 had one below par year in 2011 when he was 22 where he lost his place in what was a forward line loaded with talent throughout those years.
He was pretty much an ever present since then and won All stars in 2012 and 2014 which would bring him to Gleeson’s age now. He was a very good forward before he had to be the talisman in Kilkenny and only improved further once he had to carry a bigger load.

You can make similarities in career arc but that will only work if Gleeson develops further. He has the technical and physical tools to be a standout hurler, time will tell if he can develop the others.

Looks like the Clare v Waterford game is on Sky.

Don’t know if it is a double header or whether RTE have first pick and are showing Tipp v Galway.

If Galway tap into their goal scoring potential they could do untold against tipp…

Gleeson has it far harder than TJ too. Far greater expectations and a far inferior team.

Absolutely but it isn’t a case of watching Gleeson and thinking they are asking him to do too much/carrying too big a load or he is trying to do too much in games either. He has a very high ceiling if he can fulfill his potential but he has a low floor for a player with the tools he has too.

1 Like

Hardly surprising a player might suffer a crisis of confidence considering his and Waterford’s fortunes since he became a senior player. I expect he will come good in time.

Also I think Waterford need him as a centre forward, but I think the suggestion of parking him wing back for now and coaxing him back to form there is a good one. Cahill’s interview about his own playing career was a good one, if anyone has a relevant experience and can empathise with Gleeson surely it is Cahill.

Whisht your moaning Derrick, Laois nor Wexford wont be viewable anywhere this weekend either.

There’s always some cribbers.

Just the 12 points and 9 points in favour of Limerick the last two times they have met.

3 Likes