Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Hard luck @Big_Dan_Campbell and all of the other Clare fellas. Who knows how it would have panned out if Tony Kelly hadn’t of picked up that injury.

Lohan saying TK went over on his ankle during the warm up. And did it again early in the game.

No, Ryan hurled last year, is around 31 years of age. If he was going to do anything in a Waterford jersey it’s done by now same as Connors, Shanahan and Mahony. Ryan would be of the windy variety so not a Cahill type player

He’s selling motors for John Kelly I believe, who are DLS sponsors

Hard luck @Raylan @Big_Dan_Campbell @Tassotti and well done @Fagan_ODowd and any other Waterford based posters I’m unaware of.

3 Likes

Did I see a couple of posts from the great @Watch_The_Break earlier or did I just dream it?

I think we are both happy that Kenny stood up to it today. He will need to raise it again next week if required. He is old enough at this stage so you’d hope he won’t be phased by it. I think Darragh Fives could be close to making the panel next week. That would strengthen us further.

1 Like

Cheers mate.

1 Like

I thought you were a Carlow man.

I’m from North London but like Jack Fagan, I’m currently Waterford based.

2 Likes

A cracking days hurling.

• Galway scored 3-23 and that was with Conor Whelan starved of possession for a lot of it. Even JC was a bit quiet by his enormously high standards, while still coming up with a few clutch moments. They’ll fancy it next week, no question about that.

• Johnny Murphy actually did ok, which was surprising enough. Morris could have easily gone in the first half so I don’t think Tipp can feel hard done by over Barrett’s dismissal. Sheedy has always been a bit of a prick going by people who worked with him in the bank so no surprise he’s whinging now afterwards. When Cahill gets the Tipp job he’ll win multiple All-Ireland’s with them.

• Brian Hogan is a poor, poor goalkeeper. Has a monster puck out but is a really dreadful shot stopper. Beaten at his near post for the first, should have blocked the one from Harte too. Such a regular occurrence in recent years and he still gets picked. Baffling.

• Waterford. Such a well coached side. Have been impressed with them all year long. They’ll give Kilkenny bucket loads of it, I wouldn’t be shocked if they beat them. Like Galway, three weeks on the trot is tough going though. Certainly wouldn’t write them off. Shanagher might have exposed a fatal flaw though, Cody will probably stick Reid in at the edge of the square and bomb it in as usual.

• Dessie Hutchinson is some addition. He was like Omar from The Wire, strolling around and nobody could lay a glove on him most of the time.

• Lohan has had an ok first year, helped by a favourable qualifier draw of course. Few new lads blooded. The absentees eventually caught up with them today. Still very weak defensively, they’re at nothing when the likes of Jack Browne are still starting big games. The big tallies shipped against Limerick and Waterford speaks for itself.

• the best four teams are in the semi final. Two intriguing matches next weekend.

• Ger Canning. How fucking irritating can one man be. He’s obsessed with dumb, inane statistics. At one stage today he rattled off three of them within about 90 seconds. “His 9th ever point in championship hurling, his 29th ever appearance in championship hurling, his third ever goal in championship hurling”. FFS, you’d say something if it was a landmark like 100th appearance or point but he trots out the most banal shit. Cummins is actually good beside him as a co-commentator, he must be fit to strangle him at times.

Ref predictions for next weekend - James Owens to get Galway-Limerick, Colm Lyons to get Kilkenny - Waterford.

26 Likes

I suppose Fergie will get the final?

Yes, there needs to be a Tipp presence there.

A fine summary. One thing hurling absolutely must address is the cynical foul when in on goal. It was there again today, indeed every single team is at it and if they’re not they’re idiots while the rules are what they are. No need to wait until an All Ireland Final is decided by a professional foul

There’ll be no black card as long as Cody is there.

Actually, on the Ger Canning thing, I’ve noticed a serious decline in his cognitive ability over the course of the last two years. Stats are easy, as they’re fed to him by Dave Punch or whoever is siting beside him, but his ability to react to live situations has hugely deteriorated.

He was always an annoyance of a commentator but I wonder is his health not what it should be? He must be touching the 70 mark or thereabouts.

4 Likes

Ye might need him.

I’d love to have Cannings stats sheet stolen from him just before he goes live on air.
He’d be completely lost without it as it’s a major filler in his commentary. It might actually improve his commentary as he’d actually have to think harder about how the game is actually panning out, rather than lazily checking his boring stats after every score.
He is phoning it in for a long time now. Barely gets excited at crucial moments. George Hamilton gone the same. The fuckers must get no critique or reviews from anyone in RTE

4 Likes

I honestly think this is the case. Darragh Moloney is RTE’s best GAA commentator by a mile.

6 Likes

have