Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

I’ve just shown you physical evidence. How can you say he is not one vs one there? Hayes is the last man in the Clare’s backs and he is isolated with Dessie Hutchison

He’s less than 5 yards from the next defender and there’s at least 3 other Clare defenders within whispering distance, seriously…

3 Likes

do you remember when Limerick tried to isolate Gillane one vs one in 2019 but Kilkenny left two backs on him? That wasn’t one vs one. Clare never doubled up on Hutchison, or swept in front of him or did anything really, bar hope Hayes would contain him

Clare naively followed their men yesterday, Hutchison was isolated with only Hayes back with him all day.

Glesson actually did a terrific job pulling Cleary all over the place

1 Like

@EstebanSexface In fairness that is not getting left one on one.

12 seconds in Corbett on Hickey is the classic one on one situation.

1 Like

I don’t know mate. A corner back being the last man with no full back inside him is one on one all day for me.

Dessie could do anything there with that ball. If the nearest Clare man goes then the ball is popped to his marker. The actual Clare spare man is miles away from impacting the game. Too far up and can’t impact on it.

If that isn’t 1v1 I don’t know what is. Dessie ended up shooting out by the 45 for a point. Happened over and over again

In fairness when Waterford were in their sweeper pomp they conceded a goal just like Dessies second goal to Kilkenny in an All Ireland semi final. TJ scored it if I recall correctly.

The whole point of Waterford’s formation was to protect Barry Coughlan, who Derek simultaneously felt was the best full back in the county but didn’t have confidence in his ability to play one on one. Maybe he was right in both counts but it meant the team was hobbled in the attack, struggled to score 20 plus points (the bare minimum in the modern game) and were overwhelmed any time they played Tipperary who had the firepower to destroy us close to goal, even with any amount of sweepers and long range as well. That meant we could only get to a final if we managed to avoid Tipp in the draw, which was how we managed in 2017, when we were picked off long range by Galway who didn’t even have to bother with trying for goals.

A frustrating game. Lots of errors. Karma bit Tipp – but they died with their boots intact, in fairness. Their team now requires a fair overhaul. Brian Hogan is the worst goalkeeper ever to win an All Star. I think Conor Bowe is potentially terrific.

For Galway, Shane Cooney is a walking bomb scare – and needs to be dropped. And Conor Cooney should never have been taken out of full forward in 2018, for Jonny Glynn, because where is JG now?

Unless Galway get really big performances out of CC, Niall Burke, Johnny Coen and the Mannions, they are in bother. Adrian Touhey likely needs to start. And Pádraic Mannion probably needs to go centre back – or David Burke.

5 Likes

How would Waterford have fared in a shootout with either team? Was the result inevitable and the process less palatable because of the style?

Limerick have developed a process that isn’t a straight 15 v 15 and it works, most of the time

As soon as I saw the change of system back to the knockout provincial championship and 1 game in the qualifiers system I knew it would suit Waterford. Even if they had lost to Cork there’s a fair chance they’d have drawn Dublin, Wexford or Laois and picked up momentum there. They thrived in this championship structure in 2015,16’ and 17’ and again this year under the excellent Liam Cahill.

Look, I’m going to put this down to us having different interpretations of what being left one on one means. In my opinion, you cannot say any back marking any forward nearest to the goals with no cover behind him is being left one on one. In that case every marking job in there is essentially one on one. To my mind, being left one on one with a defender is when there is no chance of the ball being cut out by another defender or no chance of another defender coming to the back’s aid.

As an aside, referring to me as a snide individual because I disagree with you is fairly sad out of you.

No, it’s because I think you are a very snide individual. Not just because of this interaction. Would you not think Dessie is 1v1 in that last picture no?

1 Like

Why is that?

The last picture is one on one. Unfortunately for your argument it wasn’t one of DH’s 2 goals.

I’ve no interest in interacting with you. As I said, if you’re looking for an argument go elsewhere

There is a little more to it than that. We wouldn’t have won a shoot out with anybody because of the 15 that Derek was picking. Patrick Curran was eventually relegated to a peripheral sub, and Stephen Bennett who had been an astounding forward at u21 the year before didn’t get a look in. Instead we were picking 8 backs and the Brick who for all his talents wouldn’t get a score in a month of Sundays.

If Waterford picked their best 6 forwards and played orthodox against the same Tipp or Galway teams would it have been different? Would ye have beat Cork without a sweeper, in a straight shootout with the teams available at the time?

He was outstanding. I believe they couldn’t speak highly enough of him.

McGrath to a lesser extent and Davy to a greater I think, suffered from overthinking it.

Donal O’Grady suggested the same thing did he not? I don’t think it’s nonsensical at all given how good Coleman showed he was in the role and how weak cork backs can be.

Thanks. I’d agree with all of that.
Cooney I always thought offered more up front than route 1 anyway. It never sat well flying Glynn over and back. Kk wouldn’t ever have done it ,not under Cody at least, and Cody remains the yardstick by which all managers are judged. He’s the shrudest man in the game.
I’d be surprised if Jonny Coen starts the next day.

Even though they got hammered by a distinctly average Offaly led by managerial powerhouse Leo O’Connor?