Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

The Dow will surely be the next net minder.

Although i hear he is getting into coaching

Whatever became of David McCarthy?

It’s a very tough position in fairness as Tipp are also finding these days.

The Dow will surely be in goals for Na Piarsaigh next year if he can walk at all.

If rumours are to believed he will be training Doora Barefield next year.

Not a chance of that I’d say.

Next in line after Nicky is Aaron Gillane’s younger brother Jason (20s keeper this year and last year)

Are they intermediate ???

Yes. Have a solid young team but lack real class outside of David Conroy and one or two others.

Best of the current crop of keepers?

Probably has to be Eoin Murphy, super shot stopper and decent distributor. Stephen O’Keeffe is excellent too, he has suffered from being part of poor Waterford teams in the past couple of years.

I’m biased but I think Nickie Quaid is chronically underrated. Safe as houses. Since he made his debut (2012?) you could count the mistakes he has made leading to scores on one hand. Rock solid in the air too.

Nash hasn’t improved a whole pile since he made his debut. When push comes to shove he’ll still leather the ball as far down the field as possible rather than play the understated possession pass to one of his defenders. Collins looks a much better all round goalkeeper without all the big “I am” antics.

Brian Hogan won the All-Star last year and, by and large, he’s a poor shot stopper.

Not a great era for goalkeepers which is strange considering how involved they are in play today with all the puck outs.

You only appreciate a good keeper when you have a bad one.

2 Likes

Hurls out the field for his club, won an Intermediate county last year, he hits a few long range scores every day out for them from wing back.

He spent 1 year inside with the Seniors, I’d say he understood fairly quickly he wasn’t dislodging Nicky and decided he was off

1 Like

Was McNamara supposed to be heading to Harvard to become a rocket scientist

Yeah… it’s a tricky one for sure. Look at Nash there in Cork… He has, in my opinion, a hugely talented and just better alternative behind him in Collins, but Collins lacks experience because Nash is in there because he is experienced, and the thing self-perpetuates!

Clare have chopped and changed over the last while with no real standout. Limerick have stuck with Nicky over the years… solid, dependable, good puckout variation (some howlers over the sidelines aside, not always the keeper’s fault…) and he doesn’t make many mistakes. He’s never had a realistic challenge for his jersey over the years and maybe that has allowed him develop.

I think Eoin Murphy is the best in the country with Nicky Quaid next best. Both rock solid.

Both, interestingly enough, hurl outfield for their club cc @carryharry

I don’t know lads, the less Collins plays the better he gets.

He made a huge fuck up in a League match a few years ago gifting Kilkenny a win which probably set him back a few years.

Matthew Ryan from Templederry looked like the man to replace Cummins a decade or so ago. Whatever happened to him?

So does Brian Hogan

Nicky is and always has been an excellent keeper. He has gone up a fair few levels since Kinnerk came in.

If he was to get injured we’d be in trouble as Barry Hennessy is not up to it. Jason Gillane is already better than Barry.

Who was the fella who sent his mother out to bat for him a few years back?

He ran out of ideas fairly quickly last Sunday regards the puckout and Sheedy wasn’t too pleased with him. Is the Kiladangan Hogan better? Tipp pals say he is

Murphy from hospital herbertstown?

:laughing: Aaron Murphy. Long gone.