Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Dodge gave him a lovley dunt in a league game in 2014 after he was coming up to take a free

2 Likes

It’s a decent Cork team considering the injuries.

Thought they might try Hennessey at midfield but I understand it’s a must win game so they’ve gone with the more experienced options. Unfortunately neither Cooper nor Meade have shown much in the way of form the last year plus.

No choice but to bring in Spillane at 3 but I’d prefer McDonnell ahead of O’Donoghue. Niall O’Leary seems to have fallen quite a bit down the pecking order.

No corner-forward on the bench with Turnbull gone. I guess Lehane and Barrett are the back-up. Turnbull lacks a directness and pace that might hurt him in terms of making at inter-county. Injuries haven’t helped.

It’s pretty funny hearing lads complaining about the management not picking “club” players when the new/squad players coming in have been some of the standout club hurlers over the past couple of years - O’Connor, Dalton, O’Flynn, O’Leary-Hayes. Moreover they have been on the panel for 1-2 plus years and deserve their chance first and foremost. It’s particularly funny seeing calls for lads to start that probably won’t even make the U-20 panel.

As for Dublin, I think they might be on the cusp of making another AI run in the next couple of years. O’Donnell is one of the best backs in the country and Smyth, the two Burkes and Gray are some of the best young hurlers in the country. They also seem to have a competent coach after the Fitzgerald debacle. Finally playing in Leinster gives them a physical edge playing against Munster teams.

However they have weakened their bench significantly starting Dillon and Hayes. Mind you this still arguably have a stronger bench than us with Rushe and Schutte there, even if they aren’t the players they once were.

2 Likes

You understand the meaning of “potentially” don’t you?

1 Like

Millerick gone from the panel completely @fenwaypark - was he there last week? Don’t remember.

Think Dalton might end up in goals, I don’t rate Collins much either. Same weaknesses as Nash imo with a shorter puck-out.

He is gone for year with hip. Played no club either. He badly needed the break.

1 Like

Id rate the younger brother (Ger) higher tbh.

As @Turenne stated, I said potentially. There are some lads and when you see them play, you know they have ‘it’. Barrett falls under this category as does Joyce. Luck, application will ultimately determine whether this opinion is justified.

The championship starts today

I’ve seen Barrett and nothing about him strikes me as being good enough for this level yet. I’d rate his club mate Power higher than him.

I’ve said before that Joyce is potentially serious. I’m surprised the Roches ain’t closer to breaking onto the senior set up yet.

The Roches lack Hurling at this level. Serious athletes who were central to that Colman’s Harry cup team but the forward definitely won’t make it as he doesn’t score enough while the corner back(I get the names mixed up) has a lot to do.

Do not understand the criticism as Patrick/Ger Collins. Both as excellent keepers with all the raw materials to make the big time. Darren Brennan of KK probably only other second choice keeper that can compare at the moment.

Is cadogan injured? He’s never going to get a clear run is he? Pity. He’s lethal when flying

His hip ffs

Does anyone remember the Lk v cork game last year at the GG . ?? Cadogan went over the hoarding at the open stand side and fell over the wall and there was a audible bang and there is a drop. I was just above it and there was an audible thud . I feared for the lad . He got up, over the wall and hurled away a storm .

I believe Turnbull pulled his quad during the week.

Kingston had them doing sprints.

1 Like

We’d no trouble while Murray was there.

Might be inclined to come in if/when he’s likely to start? I hope so, he’s excellent.

There is a bang of Kerry ‘yerra’ off that. The two Burkes are decent. Dara Grey is honest but limited. Our backs are ok I think, though some of the brain farts which led to Kilkenny goals last week are worrying. Midfield and forwards are average at best. Danny Sutcliffe has never really recovered his pre Ger Cunningham form and the captaincy does not seem to be suiting him. Chris Crummy for all his endeavour is still a back playing in the forwards. Donal Burke, Trollier, Cian Boland and Ronan Hayes all have their moments but none of them would be as proven as Pat Horgan or Seamus Harnedy.

Having said all that with Cork’s injuries I think this is a 50/50 game and Dublin are good value at 2/1

Is he excellent anymore? I’d say he’s played very little hurling in the past 2 or 3 seasons compared to when he was in goals for the minors/21s. Maybe when he is back in the inter county fold he would sharpen up a lot with the training but I’m not sure he’ll ever be back.

Nicky Quaid is a very solid keeper. He makes almost no mistakes and his puck out has improved significantly. A real mr consistency type. He isn’t a shot blocker like Brian Murray who would stop a bullet but lacked the all around game of a Quaid. Its all about consistency at inter county level.

…have you seen Seamus Harnedy play in the last two years?

Horgan aside, most of our marquee player’s form have been in a nosedive since 2018.

Time will tell. Id rate Barrett a lot higher than Power.