Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

But not more than KK who have 4 (four).

Hence why I said more than most, as opposed to more than anyone.

Dominate my hole.

2 Likes

Don’t take him up on that offer, mate.

10 Likes

May need to revisit the phrasing of that one glas

3 Likes

Sounds like a job for Esteban

5 Likes

Hopefully that comment isn’t taken out of context, mate.

No thankfully

Oh my.

In the cold light of day that was a poor enough match, utterly forgetful but just about inching over the line.

I think the difference was the ‘keepers. Young Murphy is a fine prospect but we were gifted a handful of scores that ultimately were the difference. On another day Mul sticks that goal chance too. He’s young, it’s a position where you just need the experience but being brutal he made mistakes that cost them today and in the Leinster final. Galway need to stick with him though, there’s an excellent keeper in there given time.

At the other end Quaid is as safe as houses, the most under rated player in the county. You could count on one hand the amount of mistakes he has made resulting in scores. He’s superb and we’ve an enormous problem when he steps away in the next couple of years.

Another clean sheet. Finn is just different gravy. Sensational. Only matched by Daithi Burke at the other end - who is possibly the best full back I’ve ever seen. At this stage and ignoring recency bias he’s probably better than Lohan was.

Hayes and Byrnes excellent. That long range free late on to put us a point up from Byrnes was unreal. Laser like.

Tom Morrissey and Hego brilliant and carried the forward line on a day when the inside line were well shackled. Tom especially, who wasn’t great in the Munster final. It won’t happen but would give consideration to having him on the frees going forward too, from within the ‘65 anyway.

To win with lads like Hannon, O’Donovan, O’Donoghue, Mul, Gillane, Flanagan and Lynch well below par is pleasing. There’s been enough trips to Croke Park where we’ve played below par and been hammered so I’ll take this all day long.

Our subs didn’t really catch fire but still nudged us home, Peter Casey was sublime. Breen mined (cc Vincent Hogan) another invaluable score. David Reidy had a ‘mare while Simon put the one ball he got wide.

Plenty of thinking for the final composition now. Start Casey or keep him in reserve? Drop Flanagan?

Thought Owens was brutal, mind you lads looking for Hegarty to get the line is ridiculous (especially that ape Marty Morrissey). It was a free and a yellow at most. Gillane was stupid to flick the keeper too but Murphy’s reaction was not what you want to see.

Those fucking sidelines. I’ve never never seen the likes of it. And all five of them sailed straight over the black spot. Canning is a GOAT contender but he offered little enough from open play. His mobility seems to have deserted him. Is it the beginning of the end? He has so much hurling played. David Burke is one of my favourite players of the last decade but he looks fairly burnt out now too. Mind you Niland came on and scored two worldies. Overall a positive year for them but a tough one tonight to lose a close one. We’ve lost enough of ‘em ourselves.

Great though to be in the final. The 5th in my lifetime. Considering where we’ve come from since leaving Nowlan Park in summer 2017 it’s amazing how far this team has developed.

I’m bollixed after watching that match.

35 Likes

Hope rte get together with bt and avoid a clash with hurling and Munster Heineken cup game on the 13th.

Whats a munster? All ireland senior hurling final day is more irish than paddys day imho regardless of whose in it. I obviously have a biased this year being from Limerick this year but tell me what is more patriotic?

Evan Niland did more in ten mins than any other candidate did all year.
Give it to him

2 Likes

Bennett marginally ahead atm imo

Ineligible as he is over 21.

1 Like

The thoughts of Hegarty being in the running for HOTY gives me the shivers. A useful mullocker and nothing more. A Jordan Henderson award

2 Likes

Is it a bit worrying there are so few under 21s playing Senior inter county nowadays?

There was a time when at the start of the year, you could look at the odds for YHOTY and see 15 or 20 names and they’d all be well known or nearly established.

Now there’s barely 3 or 4 starting for their counties.

Why would it be worrying? Sure its fairly obvious the game is just gone far more about physical size and lads need time to develop. Hardly rocket science. More sports science

These things happen to go in cycles. Mid 2000s there seemed to be a shortage of lads who were 19 or 20 playing I/C hurling as well then an explosion of them with Canning and the Tipp lads coming on strong in the late 2000s.

The standard of player coming through is miles off where it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Nare a Gleeson, Lynch or Kelly coming through.

Is kyle hayes eligible for yhoty ? He is 21 I’d say is he?