Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Ah stop.

1 Like

I just said he reminded me, I never said Curran was better than him

I made a sly dog at Gillane being soft earlier but I hear Gmac has him checked into hospital for his back. Wishing him a speedy recovery from that wallop as a man that has suffered many a sciatica-inducing dig at Junior grade.

2 Likes

Limerick will have to play their best game yet to beat Waterford

Daithi took a ball under no pressure against Tipp and topped it under no pressure to a Tipp man 40 yards away. Later on in the game he ended up driving on with a ball and ended up inside the Tipp 40 with acres of time and space and wasn’t confident enough to shoot from less than 40 yards out from the middle of the goals, instead he gave a handpass to a man being marked. Galway got a free from it thankfully but to argue that Daithi Burke is a competent stickman is bizarre. That’s not what his game is about.

I didn’t see Hegarty becoming the hurler he has become, i doubt anyone predicted he would be the player he has become. He had a wide and slow swing at under 21 and used to stop his feet to hit the ball and deserves a huge amount of credit for the improvements he has made, very few make those kinds of strides and eliminate those types of flaws from their game at 20/21 and he should be commended for it. I admitted i was wrong on that years ago and I doubt you will find a post from me criticising him since he established himself on he senior team, he is a very effective hurler.

4 Likes

agreed on Hegerty. I never saw him as a forward. His touch is so overlooked

Given how physical senior hurling is these days I think it’s harder than ever for minors to break straight through like you would have seen relatively regularly in the past with talented minors. Galway’s recent 4 AI winning minor sides for example might not be ready for a good few years yet. Sure if you put them out there today they’d be ate.

1 Like

Did you ever see Bob Purcell?

Isn’t he a sub for Doon?

Do you think he strikes the ball lower that other lads? Tends to hit it lower and upwards. Do you think this is deliberate to avoid being hooked as he does have a slower strike?

The improvements in his first touch and skills has been off the charts.

1 Like

No, it’s that soccer medal @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy has

1 Like

Implying that Curran was poor. A fine player.

If Burke has one fault it’s that he attacks the ball too much for a full back…he goes gung ho for it which can be risky for a last line of defence if he misses ,thought Richie hogan goal showed it a bit

He can vary it in fairness to him. He takes plenty of scores under pressure despite never really shortening his grip, most other players would be blocked down repeatedly. There was one before half time where there were bodies around and he hit it low enough, almost down by his knee and it was like an arrow over the bar - like a fella choking up on his grip of a driver

They’ll probably give it to another Wexford referee. Must be nearly Paud O’Dwyer’s turn at this stage.

He is a warrior and the best full back of this decade. Solved a big problem for Galway going back there, he might lose the odd ball but the head never drops. I’d say you would be battered after playing against him, contests every ball.

3 Likes

For the Covid year that’s in it, all efforts will be made to ensure Waterford win it for a feel good xmas.

Even today; there was one where Flanagan had got in behind him. Burke went up with the paw and, in fairness, caught the ball. Very very high-risk though, probably should have batted it (Flanagan probably should have won it, was in the optimal position, I’d say Gillane would have).

1 Like

Ah yeah theres no doubting he’s an animal and prefers man ball and all.

Like Limerick in 18 for Dolores