Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Not really. Gillane, having acted the maggot for most of the game (fair play to him) got a fair shoulder which made him fall over. The poor Limerick snowflakes pile on about a “ruptured spleen” which, of course, turns out to be a sore tummy. 🤷

4 Likes

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

I rest my case.

Joe was down for a combined 15 minutes yesterday

Gillane and Canning were kept in overnight in the hospital

Few thoughts on hurling at weekend.

It’ll be between Hegarty and De Burca for HOTY. Both have been standout performers and are outstanding leaders.

Daithi Burke gave finest exhibition of full back play I have seen and did it off the back of a great game against Tipp too. He is a throwback to some of the full backs of mid 90s.

Galway have 2 bright young talents in Concannon and Murphy. The puck out strategy was the losing of the game but it wasnt all on him.

Joe Canning reminds me of Eoin Kelly in 2010. Great leadership and great from frees but real problem in getting ball in hand in open play and also mobility issues to play modern game. I dont know if lack of pace is magnified more this time of year but likes of Noel McGrath, Joe Canning may just be better and more effective at height of summer on hard ground.

I think the move of Kyle Hayes to wing back has strengthened Limerick. They are one of the best teams since Kilkenny in 09 to win high ball with numerous clean catches yesterday and it extends to all of them with Peter Casey winning one crucial one near the end.

Waterford will need to tweak the Munster final game plan for the final. I think they run the ball and take on players particularly well especially with Lyons, Fagan, Prendergast and Bennett but they will have to pick their moments instead of it being the default strategy.

Kilkenny seem to be in a state of limbo now without an All Ireland since 2015. I think TJ Reid has now surpassed Shefflin and has kept them a top team. He did not have supporting cast of JJ Delaney, Noel Hickey, Tommy Walsh etc. The talent pool has dried up a bit with no u21 title since 2008. Cody’s legacy is secure as one of the greatest in either code but you can stay on too long as Mickey Harte will attest but I’m sure he might give it one more year before Shefflin/DJ takes the reins.

18 Likes

Ah look at, that belt he got from his own man looked fairly serious tbh and it was correct to hold the game up. Tbh at the risk of getting g slaughtered I think Hegarty was rather lucky to stay on the field. Gillane also needs to watch himself. Granted the keeper made a meal of it but it wasn’t necessary

The carry on out of the goalie after was embarrassing

You can say the same about Michael Breen or Bonner Maher at times re club form. Sometimes if you play with a club and you are the one intercounty player the gameplan can revolve around stopping you. In any game I have seen him he has been miles better than Jake Morris.

Yeah it was but it shouldn’t have happened in the first place

hang on until I find you a Galway avatar

1 Like

It’s ok, I’ve found a gif instead.

be0240d1bfeebf78e3a6863153a08e3b

Hopefully.

I wonder will the Fitzgibbon go ahead next Spring as that could be massive for him. He’s in UCC but wasn’t part of the panel earlier this year. The Fitzgibbon is probably a bigger competition now than the Under 20 Championship.

It was a stupid thing for Gillane to do. Mindless in fact but the goalie was a pure bollix to try and get him sent off.

Totally. But could you imagine if there was 60 or 70k there yesterday. Could well have turned out differently.

Or if just one of the two umpires raised it with ref

1 Like

Yup. If I was Kiely, I’d be having a serious word with him. While Hegarty’s indisgression could be deemed more clumsy than a thing, it was still borderline

The galway team suffered a few very demoralising defeats again this year. They are in a bad place.

They should focus on rebuilding a team and getting themselves competitive for the 2021 season.

@flattythehurdler @Lazarus and @Ambrose_McNulty need to stop lashing out on the Internet. It’s very ungentlemanly.

1 Like

I wonder will Joe call it a day now. Still handy off the placed balls but did nothing from play.

Joe is like Team GB hockey star Calum Giles at this stage in his career

1 Like

Maybe Joe plays for 1 more year but not taking frees. Galway need to plan for the future.