Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Joe is golfing a lot nowadays and investing in pubs. He has surely lost a little interest.

He has 13 seasons done and will go down as Galway’s greatest hurler and one of the greats of the game when all is said and done. I thought be played relatively well against Wexford and Kilkenny but struggled to make any impact yesterday, placed balls aside. I’m sure if he stays at it he will still stand out at times but given the mobility needed for the middle third and if Galway persist with a sweeper it won’t do him many favours.

Joe Canning has scored 28 line balls in championship, next on list is 8.
Some going

3 Likes

Who has 8 for interests sake?

Can’t be saying.

1 Like

Mark coleman? Noel McGrath?

He’s done as a half forward anyway you’d think, unless he goes away and does some serious work in the off season. There’s been an awful lot worse lads carried corner forward though for frees, and he adds the sideline element which is a remarkable extra string to have.

Yeah you could play him at full forward with two pacey/direct lads either side of him but Galway played 2 inside yesterday to facilitate the sweeper. A two man inside line would be of no help for him to be stationed in there.

1 Like

I was reading an article about some Power lad who had managed gleeson and others to underage success with Waterford but was overlooked for Waterford senior job .apparently he got mount sion underage structures in place back in late 90s too…article mentions football coach Pat Flanagan being a mount sion man too …when you think of some of the names that have gone through the club it must have been hard to keep everyone rowing the same way ? There’s some amount of independent thinkers there between ex players and coaches /mangers… off the top of my head you’d have the fannings, McGraths, brownes, greene,Kevin Ryan ,Flanagan, the lad in South Africa .

Ye’d never have gotten it.

1 Like

Ya you’d have to redesign the system somewhat. He wouldn’t be any use chasing a sweeper as you say. But I don’t think the sweeper works for Galway anyway. Really kills their FF line threat

Gillane isn’t the sharpest… He plays on the edge, that’s his game. Pure stupidity what he did to the keeper but the keepers reaction was poor… He gave Gillane a dunt afterwards and Gillane laughed it off but he was here with O’Donoghue below in PUC , all it takes is the smallest thing at this level and you’re done.

Hegarty was very lucky… I don’t think there was any intent but it was wild and he’d have had no complaints if he was done for it.

1 Like

Some nasty posts here this morning.

You hate to see it.

Jaysus, Moroney must have been some operator to be cutting them over the bar in the 1970’s and to get eight when they probably only played a game or two a year on average is phenomenal

3 Likes

They were in two Munster Finals in the 70s.

Some Moroney fella from back in the 50’s.

Gleeson used be brilliant at them, but isn’t able anymore.

Gillane went out and fired the ball over the bar from the sideline straight after the dunt. He’s the kind of lad you’d be hoping the corner back was dunting all day

2 Likes

I’d say loose rather than wild. But describing this incident has the potential to blow the forum up like the tap Cathal Barrett got away with in the AIF last year, if people have the stomach for it. What counts against Hegarty for me was that it didn’t look like a genuine attempt at a hook. It wasn’t amazingly forceful or anything but it was a dunt on the back, not near the ball. A yellow and move on for me.

1 Like

Mick Moroney is a bit of a folk legend up around Crusheen and North Clare. Was famed for his sideline balls and his ability to put his hand or head were most others wouldn’t.

David McInerney of Clare has one of the longest sideline cut strikers going. Routinely sends them 80 yards +

Scour Power. Never managed a senior team so was never going to get the gig. Plus a Mount Sion man running the county team is always divisive.

Mount Sion don’t always pull together. That’s why Eoin Kelly went to Passage and Roanmore GAA was founded after a split in the club.

1 Like