Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

1 Like

He won’t have heard of him. Hurling was only invented in Clare in 1995.

3 Likes

John Connolly was Galway’s greatest.

I’ve made my statement on the matter.

1 Like

Colemans line ball for UCC in the fitzgibbon either to win a match or draw was next level too

Father Ig? Did you get to see him in his pomp? He was gone by the mid 80s was he?

I was only a lad, but he was epic. Tough oul boot.
Theres no point in picking, or trying to pick galways greatest ever hurler though. Times, perceptions, opportunities etc. Joe Cooney? Eanna Ryan? There’s loads of candidates.
I always loved Iggy Clarke though.
He was gone by about 84 iirc but I’m not 100% certain.

1 Like

Yeah, because Joe Canning.

You’ve some horn for Joe. Did he give you free prawn crackers some night or something?

4 Likes

What goes against the older crew is the championship format - 2 games and no provincial. Joe has slugged it out with the best of em and went toe to toe with arguably the greatest team of all time. I’m not sure if we even saw the best of him at IC as he was moved around so much. But ability wise very few players from any county would surpass him.

1 Like

he’s had some career

minor, u21 and senior all irelands with the county, a YHOTY and HOTY almost 10 years apart
was it 3 or 4 club all irelands.

He was the main man on all of those teams.

Is he the only fella to have won YHOTY and then gone on to get HOTY - Tony Kelly and Aussie got them both in the one year

I never saw Clarke play and you may well be right and are more than entitled to say so as it is a subjective topic and I am not trying to talk down Clarke but it is 40 years on from Clarke’s pomp and his name seldom comes up in conversations when the great players or yesteryear are referenced. I would be confident enough in predicting that people around the country will still be talking about Joe Canning performances and moments on the field 40 years from now.

Did JJ Delaney?

no. he didn’t get YHOTY - that only came in as a thing in 96

1 Like

That’s a stupid enough comment, if you don’t mind my saying so.

he’s a stupid enough fella

Was it a shefflin comeback game where both sides drew…Shefflin scores a great point that looks to have won it but Joe scores an outrageous one out the far sideline. The balls on him… The winner against Tipp in 17… There’s tonnes of moments where he just saddled up and got it done. His goal in the 2015 Leinster final :goat:

It’s a travesty he has only one AI medal.

It’s not really. That’s just sport unfortunately… You rarely get what you want or deserve…

His losing efforts for LIT against WIT in the 2008 Fitzgibbon Cup final, v Cork in 2008 and against Clare in the 2009 A/I under 21 semi final will long live in the memory.

2 Likes