Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Mark Foley was an outstanding hurler and would have walked on any intercounty team. He played corner forward for Tipp out in Boston one summer.

Tg4 YouTube channel possibly . Showing a load of games.

I put a link to the schedule on the CLG Gaillimh thread

Had more hurling than him but not as composed on the ball nor as good a defender as him. Not to mention the worlds apart athletically.

It’s a strange argument to make. You’ll can’t simply assume that if Foley was around today he’d be a great player. Would he? Would he survive athletically, would he show the composure on the ball needed, would he be aerially as sound as the other HB line players. It’s impossible to answer.

Therefore you judge them not on what ifs but what you saw. Dan is more composed on the ball and is a far better defender. That’s enough for me.

Mark Foley was a superb hurler for Limerick and saying that he is not as good as any of the current 6 defenders is not an insult to the man ffs. People are very precious.

1 Like

Its pointless comparing players across generations as game was totally different to now. Foley was one of the best players of his era. I doubt many would argue otherwise.

1 Like

Mark foley was a better hurler than the likes of Kyle Hayes. He’d brilliant skills.

1 Like

Ah Hayes has a great skillset. Very few players can easily switch between half forward and half back and be easily as effective. I would take Hayes over Foley.

2 Likes

Hayes was always a back playing in the forwards for me. He was very effective to be fair but he wouldn’t have the same hurling as foley for me. He’s an incredible athlete which foley wasn’t.

To say after two games Hayes is a better half back than foley was is unfair. I think foley won two all stars and a young hurler Of the year award. He was a very good player.

1 Like

Not listed as on Youtube.

Writing big longs posts comparing the two now, you’re some flute :smile:

By Jaysus RTE have cancelled up for the match

That’s a fine Cork side… Limerick will do well to keep it to 4/5.

1 Like

Foley was brilliant but did just whack ball after ball… But he’d adapt in the current setup no problem. No point arguing about different eras…

He started his career brilliantly but ended up as a whack it merchant.

Foley was some man to rise the crowd. A big catch, burst out, a few jinks and then a massive bomb. Throw a fist pump going back and maybe a belt into the half forward

3 Likes

The angry man has an unreal hatred for all things adare maybe this is why he’s so dismissive of Mark foley.

His points are valid about Foley though. He could look brilliant and youd walk off and cool down and realise he hit 4 wides and his man got 5 points.

He would have looked brilliant doing it though

3 Likes

He’d a complete meltdown because somebody picked mark foley who won two all stars and a young hurler of the year on their dream limerick 15 between 95 and 2020 or whatever it was ahead of Kyle Hayes who’s played two games for the limerick seniors in the half back line.

It’s merely an opinion and hardly that ridiculous to suggest as much.

He was hurling the man.

Glas gets a few belts off every post.

His point was valid nonetheless about Foley

I don’t think it’s that far fetched to suggest mark foley was a better half back for limerick than dan Morrissey or Kyle Hayes. Obviously in a few years time that can change but there’s no need to get so worked up and angry over it.

Mark foley was a very good player.