Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

I’m referring to his point that foley could flatter to deceive. Which I agree with.

Comparing lads from different times is about as useful as tits on a bull and getting angry about it is a funny one

Oh I’d agree on some of the points alright but you also Have to admit it was a very different limerick set up and a very different era for hurling.

Picking those teams is just a bit of a fun and merely a matter of an opinion.

I’d have loved to seen mark foley tried at full forward in his prime

Well, that’s it. Would Mark Foley of 2007 get in the current Limerick team? Obviously not.

But the game has changed massively, he was of his time. Tbf I doubt his man scored 0-5 off him that many days because in the 90s, scores in general were way lower. But he certainly was a loose enough hurler and didn’t exactly feed his forwards with good ball, but then very very few did. He was able to dominate his patch under a high ball and would score.

Look at Diarmuid Byrnes, he’s not a good defensive wing-back either. But under a puckout and his delivery of the ball, he is as good as there is and is undroppable as a result despite the fella he’s marking often getting plenty of scores.

It’s like two different sports. Fuck all point in comparing.

Foley had the minerals to play for limerick at inter county for a long long time and won personal accolades. That’s some dedication and commitment and that would work in any era

The limerick 2 to 8 is as much about the system as the individuals. I’m not sure how good Byrnes or Morrissey really are in general but they are outstanding in that limerick system.

The ease at which Morrissey moved to 3 and Barry Nash into the corner tells me that as well.

They have hannon sweeping everything behind them and they’ve the midfield/half forward line dropping back helping out as well.

When mark foley played it was a completely different game.

The Limerick lads having a row about imaginary teams on All Ireland weekend. Box. Office.

2 Likes

If there wasnt a lockdown we’d be boxing the head off each other in an early house in Dublin over the same thing

1 Like

Conor Lehane got a lot of joy off Dan morrissey in the past and he’s absolutely derided by a few limerick posters on here. I’d say foley is ahead of him being honest.

I though it was Dan Kearney did damage on Dan in 2018. Lehane was in the corner on English. They did serious damage down that side alright.

The biggest hole opening I ever seen was Eoin Kelly on Mark Foley one year. Poor auld rasher didnt know what way was up. But kelly was an all time great

1 Like

Fairly sure lehane ran him a few times in the gaelic grounds. He took him for a jog in the drawn game below in cork too but morrissey was moved to six after hannon went off and wod shut him out.

Was he not in corner-back that time? He was never a corner-back tbf; I don’t think there’s any era you could get away with being loose inside in the corner.

If foley was playing today he’d probably be in the hannon role.

I think he was wing back and kelly was half forward. Kelly had 8 or 9 points got and rumour had it Reale was sent over to man mark Kelly and rashers who wouldnt have it so told Reale to fuck off. Thats pure rumour though but Rasher did stay on him and Kelly put up a monster score.

I’ve done a war dance at sunrise today and asked the ancestors to bestow courage on our Limerick braves this weekend.

1 Like

I’m going out to see Aine and dig up the bone the dog buried at my feet at the solstice withy

1 Like

Ye wouldn’t have it any other way

Did he not start his Limerick career as a corner forward. I seem to remember watching him play there in bruff years ago

:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Most lads who start young would have been thrown in corner forward.

Cian lynch started there as well