Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Agreed, 2020 a pretty weak standard.

In fairness most years are if you were to look at them objectively. Every few years there is a championship with multiple contenders and most teams can beat each other on a given day but a lot of the championships this century have been one, two or three horse races at best.

2018 was a proper won Championship

2 Likes

2020 was a glorified blitz.

Irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

2018 was just an all round epic championship, for reasons well beyond Limerick ending the famine. It was a roller-coaster season for the fans. However we only won 5 from 8 in normal time over the course of the year. I’d say from the player’s point of view, going unbeaten in 2020 was massively satisfying.

2 Likes

2018 was a better Championship, but that’s not surprising given the amount of games, closeness of many of these, time of year it was played at and crowds at the matches.

2020 wasn’t as good or competitive, with a few teams regressing. However, I think the 2020 version of the Limerick team is superior to that which got over the line in 18.

POWER RATINGS

=1 Tipp
=1 Limerick
3 Galway
4 Waterford
5 Kilkenny
6 Clare
7 Dublin
8 Wexford

2020 was a glorified blitz.

Are they blitz rankings ?

1 Like

2018 was the first year of the round robin too, which is a brilliant format that I hope we return to shortly once the crowds are back and the Covid is gone.

2020 was only an auld blitz.

2018 was nice alright but looking back we didn’t win every single game we played so as great and all as it was it fell short of the standard now set.

Look, if you didn’t win every single game the year when you won one of your All Irelands and won all trophies available to you then you’d want to be taking a good hard look at yourself to be honest. You’re at nothing calling yourself a champion.

Invictus MMXX

cc @carryharry Thank You Mate :heart:

1 Like

Must be the first time since the 1930s (when Limerick absolutely dominated the league) that ye had the clean sweep of trophies in the one season? Not sure if any of those teams went unbeaten though?

Limerick 2020 are the only team in history to win every single competitive game in a season I’m pretty sure.

There was mention of one of the Tipp teams in the 60s I think but unfortunately they drew a game.

Tipperary 2001

The 2020 win doesn’t hold a candle to the 2018 win in my opinion.

2018 was simply amazing. The whole lot of it. The league game against Galway, the draws v cork, kk win and then the win v Galway were my favourite moments Following limerick I reckon. The heatwave, the low after Ennis and then coming again to win it. I’ll never ever forget any of it.

Watching the team go from youngsters to contenders was just unreal and so quickly. The scenes after it too. Even now I’m still watching the 2018 games.

2020 was great but it was completely different. No crowds and there sort of expectancy about it. I doubt anything will come close to 2018 again in my life time. The sheer unbridled joy of it all.

1 Like

Incorrect.

Unfortunately Tipp drew with Wexford in the All Ireland Semi Final.

They also drew with Kilkenny in the league

1 Like

Correct

Unbeaten. ( as per your post above )

That’s the HGH

1 Like