Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

@Copper_pipe would like to confirm that he will be uploading the full Clare vs Wexford game to YouTube once it’s available on GAAGO :raising_hand_man:t2:

13 Likes

And isn’t it great?

Unless Tipp get more pace and aggression in the Middle third of the field they could well struggle V Cork . If they have Breen , McCormack , Bonnar Maher & Breen there it will help hugely .

I fancy Wexford v Clare .

A wet week of weather forecast which will impact these games. At best lads will be slipping and sliding at worst depending on venue could turn them into wars of attrition.

Breen can only play once if he’s picked.

Best case scenario with the Bonner is an impact sub I’d imagine

He did well last day . Ditto Dan . Seamus Kennedy a good athlete too . Bonner would be an upgrade at 11 .

I have been involved in coaching teams at minor club level in Dublin for the last five years or so. To me the big issue is that the majority of the standout hurlers at that level I have seen are all very similar - relatively athletic hurlers who are just shy of six feet in height and skillful and well rounded hurlers but lacking a real x factor in their skill level when it comes to the game which you kind of need to make the step up to intercounty hurling.

I have yet to come across a forward in those 5 years who has just laid waste to a team on his own and that you couldn’t curb their impact legally.

If anything gaa is almost too well ran in Dublin and it is too egalitarian when it comes to underage. It is a complete 50/50 split - hurling one week, football the next. I’d say the majority of lads who play and enjoy hurling wouldn’t have the hurley in their hand for more than an hour pucking around on a football week. While your average young fella in a rural area of Kilkenny, South East Galway, North Tipp, East Clare etc who would have an interest probably spend an hour a day pucking around at school and off the gable end or side wall on top of hurling training and matches which they are doing exclusively week on week.

18 Likes

McCormack will start. He had failed a fitness test prior to the last game. Breen will depend on whether Sheedy fancies some more physicality around the middle third

I’d say Kennedy is still touch and go injury wise.

Bonner hasn’t played IC hurling in the guts of 18 months. I’m not sure they’ll launch them in.

Sheedy has had a history of throwing lads in so there could be a surprise inclusion (e.g. Quirke, Morgan, etc.). I think a lot depends on who is fit and not fit. He played Paudie Maher the last day, who hadn’t trained for a few weeks with a knee injury. Will he make the same mistake again?

1 Like

Statistician alert.

1 Like

You forgot the ‘and’ between south east Galway.

I agree though I’ve been to a fair few Dublin club matches and in comparison to rural clubs you rarely see an absolutely stand out forward, a lad that can shoot points over both shoulders without thinking. Now down the country that lad might never get a go with the county due to lack of commitment, or personality issues or whatever but they you regularly see them starring for years on teams.

I’ve seen Keaney absolutely dominate club games in Dublin and scoring for fun

He was a far better centre back.

In fairness the standard at minor A club level is good from what I have seen and been involved with. You would struggle to find a player who isn’t up to it physically or skill wise on any of the sides who make the knockout stages of it and all would be well rounded teams who try and play hurling in the right manner.

Pat :eek:

Keaney? Don’t remember him playing there at club level for any sustained period and the time dubs picked him there v wexford in 2013 I think it was He was woeful …

Sure most of those clubs have the pick of hundreds. It’s not like they’re trying to coax a soon to be alcoholic down to tog out as they barely have 20 lads that age who can run in the parish.

He played there loads in the mid 00s definitely for Dublin

1 Like

Manufactured hurlers

I wasn’t gonna be harsh and say it