Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Yeah that’s a fair point as well. I was talking to a kilmacud man who’s son is an above average hurler on their minor team this year but his father reckons he will throw his hat at it soon enough out of minor as he will probably slot into their third or fourth team and no real pathway to get into the second or first team.

If the same lad was with a smaller club he would probably be straight into traning with their first team and a chance to progress.

Bad enough an overflow of players trying to get into the county senior team like the Dublin footballers have but your own club side. That’s the major downside to the super clubs, lads have made county minor teams and can’t get a chance to develop at senior.

1 Like

Thought Crokes were producing really high calibre of underage hurlers ?teams that have won all Ireland feiles and obliterated everyone in Dublin all the way up…meant to be some real talents …

Yeah, while there are unique advantages in terms of numbers and facilities these also bring their own challenges which other counties aren’t faced with too. Swings and roundabouts

No room for late developers in super clubs either …likes of boden and crokes would have near 4 minor teams each year …some amount of drop off after that …

Yeah a really balanced side who put up some big scores this year and play a lovely style of hurling. But no real utterly dominant hurler in the group from the limited viewing I got of them but six forwards wo could all carry the ball and score.

Luke Swan of Castleknock was being talked about as a future star after he walked all over Kilkenny in the minor championship in 2019. We played against him this year and while he is a very strong lad I was underwhelmed by him, he played well but didn’t dominate despite his size advantage over a very tenacious under 16 we put on him. Think he may be lost to the big ball too but maybe @Spidey knows more.

The two most dominant hurlers I have seen at minor in Dublin have both been centre backs - Donal Burke for Na Fianna in 2016 on what was a very good Na Fianna team but he was a class apart and Paddy Doyle of Naomh Barrog who I am told would have been centre back for the Dublin minors this winter - a proper old school centre back.

1 Like

I don’t see the Cork improvement some seem to be seeing. Thought they were average against an utterly useless Dublin. They’ll also be out for a third week in a row. I can’t see anything but a Tipp win

1 Like

That’s a fair point about centre back …mossy mcgrane from Vincents was a class apart at underage level back in the day…was small but could absolutely dominate games…ended up corner forward for Dublin seniors for a few years …

Tipp were not good v Limerick . Looked very lethargic and lacked legs in middle third . I still fancy them but if cork move them around if could be close .

I thought it would take about 20 years for Dublin to become dominant in hurling from 2009 or so on, it might take longer as the footballers will always pull some away, and a football mentality will always be at the back of their hurlers minds, they will look for a safe lateral handpass too much (bad) and run straight at defenders when they catch it not sideways of back on themselves to make space (probably good). Bit they won’t just let it in or keep it moving quick enough.

But the dominance is coming, it’s a pure numbers game and the standard will slowly rise. What then? Both sports controlled by the county with the largest numbers (inevitable) and largest resources (not at all inevitable but that’s what happened) football is harmless at the end of the day, Kerry have made some noise about it but they are on their own almost, Ulster counties very much toe the gaa line, but if the funding leads to Dublin winning the majority of hurling championships the calls for change will be a lot stronger.

If Tipp don’t improve massively on the limerick showing Corks performance against Dublin will be enough to beat them.

Bill Cooper available this year too don’t forget

@EmilioButragueno of AFR fame?

We need the WFH trend to depopulate Dublin for the sake of hurling

Tweet deleted. We’ve all been there.

Imagine needing an analyst to explain Clare v Laois to you.

“Derrick” is best ignored. As big a whiner as there is on twitter.

2 Likes

When did Tipp and Cork last meet at GG ?? 1988 ??

They should have played it in Killarney

1 Like

They played a qualifier there in 2004

1 Like