Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

You should use more caps :roll_eyes:

Just so long as you have yours in your hand when your talking to me.

Will ye bate Davy the weekend? I don’t think ye will.

I don’t think so either.

You’re really reaching now, are you not supposed to be good at this internet crack?

Ask blue. He hands out the badges your after :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Tbf I’d say the Tipp match was the first time since 2018 that I’d been surprised at a team selection under Kiely.

He’s not one for surprises really.

1 Like

This is pathetic stuff, but sure something something Klare etc

That is true but limerick are winning and have had some good luck with injuries. A little different now. Seems Kyle will be half back again.

Establish a platform at half-back and you’ll win most games, Kiely isn’t giving that ground away

It’ll be very interesting anyway. The tipp game couldn’t have gone better for limerick in way they’d the wind in the first half and built a lead. They could sit back and almost counter attack from half time onwards. The likes of Hegarty and Gillane with space are lethal.

The one last Q over limerick is how will they cope if teams build a lead and set in like kk last year. Will they’ve have the tactics to cope with that and I presume Waterford will certainty drop deep and make it as difficult as possible for limerick.

The one recurring theme I’ve got from the KK pundits is that they can see a way to undo the Limerick system. I’d be wary as their system was again established on half-back dominance and might have a bit of insight

1 Like

Well I’d say the tactic of dropping your team deep and maybe having 3 or 4 forwards in one half of the field when winning a game was originally a Cody tactic. Kilkenny definitely deployed the tactic versus Galway a few times in all Ireland’s toward the end Of games.

He done an excellent job last year in breaking it up. It’s a very average kk team so I’d mark the performance up significantly.

2 Likes

I remember noticing it at the 2011 final. From the off all their backs edged back and towards the centre as a unit as tipp attacked or the ball was turned over. Scars from 2010 obviously.

I can’t remember the years but I remember being at a Galway/kk final when Kilkenny done it. If I remember correctly it started to piss rain and the four Kilkenny forwards were standing very close together almost in pod. No matter what way the ball came Up to them it was very hard to defend against.

It’s very tricky to counter act when it’s done right.

The Limerick posters brought this professionalism to the game in 2 18 when they went dark in the run up to the final… As @balbec said in the rallying call that led to the formation of the private members PM group… A grain of rice can tip the scales lads

1 Like

I’d fancy Wexford tentatively to beat Clare. Wexford, for some reason, have struggled to beat Munster opposition under Davy’s reign. They also looked completely out of ideas early on against Galway and went down a lot meeker (that a word?) that I would expect. At one stage they played a short puck out to a corner back, who went on a meandering solo, crossed it, then it went back to the keeper who drove it long…to the other keeper.

That said, Clare look to be struggling too. Duggan is a huge loss. He was a scoring machine the past few years and hasn’t got the INTERNET credit he deserves. Tony Kelly looked good in the Limerick game but, aside from that, they were beaten all over the field there. Scraping past Laois isn’t exactly gonna send shockwaves throughout the hurling universe either.

Despite them both looking shit though, whoever wins Clare-Wexford could be monumentally tough opposition in the next round. A win will surely bring one of them on.

If Wexford get back on track they could be dangerous. I can’t see it with Clare, they’re missing too many players that they need and have too many weaknesses. Even if Wexford don’t turn up and Clare get over them, I can’t see them going any further.*

*this is the kind of post that could come back to bite

Yeah could be right. Wexford were much more competitive last year in fairness, and they are closer to full strength

We’ve taken all the emotion out of it. We get the odd outlier like @iron_mike but by and large the lads do what they are told.

6 Likes

Apparently Limerick lads won the internet in oh 18. They’re cowering in some private group ever since.
I fully expect Galway to up there and walk all over the stripey cunts. I don’t have anything else of value to add.
This will be my position on every game in both codes up to, and including the final.
Galway Galway Galway

1 Like

Quarter to five in the morning, on a Thursday in November, and you’ve got Limerick hurling on your mind. #boxoffice

2 Likes