Hurling Championship 2020 - The Year Limerick Blitzed

Twas probably one of the strongest decades or so of hurling from around 2006-16.

Three soft all Irelands since :wink:

2 Likes

I’d reckon the west boys were fond of porter and snack boxes

What competition did they have?

Poor Galway, Limerick, Tipperary, Clare and Waterford teams. A very forgetful era.

1 Like

That Galway side are every bit as good as Limerick.

The west division is the smallest of the four. It’s based around Tipp town and Cashel. Most of the clubs around Tipp town are football clubs (Galtee and Aherlow have been very successful in the past but on the wain now).

Cashel, Kickhams and Clonoulty would be 3 big hurling clubs but only clonoulty have been good in recent years.

Eire Og, Cappawhite and Sean Treacys three other hurling clubs in the division but have a smaller pick.

Eire Og have been a top 10 side for the last decade also.
Eugene O’Neill (Cappawhite) was probably the best actual hurler in the division in recent years, he was a star underage player and won an all Ireland in 01 as a starter. He could have achieved more but fitness was a weakness.

1 Like

You have him by the tail!

Limerick are the greatest team that ever lined out mate. Keep up.

Ah here.

I rang my auld lad last night to talk about getting him set up on GAAGO for the Wexford game.

Ah it’s grand, I won’t bother with it, says he. It’s a farce of a championship. Running it off in the winter with no supporters and playing the Cork game inside in LIT of all places.

6 Likes

Shur he can listen to the radio

That’s what he said.

Jaysus ye have yer excuses ready for this afternoon

1 Like

The auld stock like the auld ways. Me own were the same last week. I’ll pop it on the chromecast says I, Shur ye’ve the fibre broadband there, you’ll have a great stream.

Ah don’t bother, we’ll listen to Jack on Midlands Radio.

Good man, good to see the Clare boys are confident

His stance softened when I told him it’s the LIT Gaelic Grounds and not actually a pitch behind the canteen in LIT. He’ll watch his native Cork alright.

1 Like

John O Donoghue at Senior I would imagine. Dalton on various underage or intermediate teams?

I disagree. The West is probably stronger hurling pick wise than the South.

The South representation usually heavily relies on Mullinahone & Killenaule.

The West usually sees lads from Clonoulty, Kickhams, Cappawhite, Sean Treacy’s, Eire Og & Cashel tend to supply underage players regularly enough to County panels.
The division has been extremely weak with Senior players for years though.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with Trigger as a nickname. What name does he go under on a match programme?

Heaney was full back on the minor team in 96. He was tasked with keeping tabs on Cloonan both days and just about did it. He done his knee in the last play of that game.

Nicky brought him in with the seniors in 99. He had a woeful fresh air ground stroke on the ground vs Clare in the 1st round replay which resulted in a goal for them. I don’t think he had the interest. Played club for 4/5 years after mainly in the forwards.

Kearney was a 1st cousin of Bonny if I remember correctly. He had a lot of the tools needed for a wing back. Played in the 99 minor final vs Galway and got a few runs with the seniors the following spring. I think he went abroad with Bonny shortly after. His auld man was a great character.

Beautiful.